High end 13" MBP or bigger?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Muppi, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Muppi macrumors member

Hi all.

I just read a guide from this macrumors guide-wiki where it stated that the 13" is more for checking emails and surfing. Ill be doing alot of programming and maybe some editing of videos and images(not very demanding though. Images not in raw and video not of great quality), mostly programming.

I want things to run smooth, its one of the main reasons for me to invest that much money in a new computer. Is the 13" sufficent for my demands or will it get tired and slow when i start doing things with netbeans in java etc? In a not very farfetched future there might also be som parallel and graphics-programming.

I really like the size of the 13" but i would hate to buy one and things start to slow down as it has with my homePC(wich isnt built of the best hardware though). I will do alot of my work when traveling, i will cary it with me to school and other things like this. The 15" just look so big!

Any advice?

2. lambobob macrumors newbie

lambobob

Get a 13", Definitly

The 13" screen may be too small for some, but it's powerful enough for my needs, which are very similar to yours (photoshop and programming.) Sure, the 15" screen would be nice, and the 9600 GT is a nice bonus, but unless you're a gamer you won't need anything in the 15".

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

You could check emails and surf the web on an 3" screen iTouch.

13" MBP will power through 100X that.

Ive got a 2.4 Ghz Core2Duo iMac (slower processor than the 2.53 13" MBP) with the same 4 gigs of ram and I run the entire Adobe Creative Suite + Quark 8 and it handles it all without even breaking a sweat. And I'm talking multi hundred meg Photoshop files and 100+ page Quark files with gigs of links. Not some crappy little 72 dpi web graphics and a few 3 panel brochures.

14,000 photos in my iPhoto library, pops right open.

1,000 albums in my iTunes, pops right open.

Even the basic MBP could take all that and squash it like a bug.

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

The 13" MacBook Pro is for surfing and checking emails? Where did you get that crap, C|Net?!

My 2.53ghz MacBook Pro has NEVER let me down when I need to edit HD video and convert large movie files and such. It goes and goes and goes, and with the added power of the Geforce 9400m...oh mama!

The 13" MacBook Pro is equivalent to the 12" PowerBook, analogically. It matches the larger notebooks but was MADE for travel!

Honestly, other laptops are a burden when traveling and flying, the Apple portables are THE portables for people that travel often. I jump at every opportunity to fly because it's actually FUN when you bring a Mac along!

5. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

If he were a gamer I would direct him to another laptop, especially in light of the MBP's current abysmal hardware value :rolleyes:

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I couldn't agree more. As someone who was a prolific PC gamer, a Mac was never something I would consider, even now.

7. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I don't know, Quake 4: Enemy Territory, Doom 3, COD4...all of these run fine...at least under OS X. I guess Microsoft just won't admit that DirectX<<<OpenGL, these games SUCK under Windows on the same computer.

I have looked at plenty of Youtube footage that would suggest games such as MW2 run well under Windows, but it's better to do some research and find out frame rates for such titles. As well, I would wait a bit longer, until the end of the month at least. With the impending Core i update, Apple is bound to throw in the latest Nvidia technology.

8. Muppi thread starter macrumors member