High end 13" MBP worth the price?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ddeadserious, May 23, 2011.

  1. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

    ddeadserious

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2008
    Location:
    Plymouth, MI
    #1
    Background: I have a 2010 2.66 dual core i7, 4GB RAM, 120GB Intel SSD. I do occasional graphic design and video converting. No gaming.

    Going to get a new 13" model, just don't need the size or dedicated graphics of the 15".

    Was going to go with the i7(that way I'm not downgrading processor speed), but considering I could get the i5 for significantly cheaper at MicroCenter, I was considering it.

    That being said, I'd really like the higher end one, but since I'll be swapping my SSD into it, the only real upgrade I'm getting is .4GHz of processor speed and a different[better?] processor.

    Is it worth it for the i7 one though? Is there going to be much of a performance increase?
     
  2. snaky69 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    #2
    For your described usage, you would not notice much if any difference between the two.

    Just a pet peeve of mine, but it's .4Ghz, not Mhz.
     
  3. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

    ddeadserious

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2008
    Location:
    Plymouth, MI
    #3
    :( You're absolutely right, typo.
     
  4. tamvly macrumors 6502a

    tamvly

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2007
    #4
    Seems to me you would be better off just sticking with what you already own. You as much as said you don't need any extra processing power. Why bother with something that already works well?
     
  5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

    Naimfan

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
    #5
    If you search, you'll see a TON of threads on your exact same question.

    That said, save the $400-500 and get the i5.
     
  6. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

    ddeadserious

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2008
    Location:
    Plymouth, MI
    #6
    I want the SATA3, Thunderbolt, and the smaller screen. Had a 13", just got the 15" last month and just don't like how big it is. I just enjoy the form factor of the 13".
     
  7. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

    ddeadserious

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2008
    Location:
    Plymouth, MI
    #7
    I'm sorry, I've been checking the forum for the past week or so and haven't seen any threads quite on this specific topic.

    On that note: I apologize for making such a noob-like thread. I just wanted some input from real people, as opposed to Geekbench or speed testing numbers.
     
  8. sk8r1230 macrumors 6502

    sk8r1230

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2010
    Location:
    Indiana
    #8
    well if u have the money it is the only thing u cant upgrade yourself...personally i buy the highest i can afford and dont settle. i did that last year with my 15in and kicked myself for it.
     
  9. acedickson macrumors 6502a

    acedickson

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2004
    Location:
    ATL
    #9
    I weighed the same options last month and got the i5. I'm a pretty heavy user, encoding and such, but the small amount of time spared wasn't worth the price difference.
     
  10. KwanMan macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 12, 2011
    #10
    I really wouldnt upgrade because of thunderbolt. Right now one one or two things actually make use of it so it's definately not something you should upgrade for.
     
  11. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

    basesloaded190

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2007
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #11
    You could do what i plan on doing and that is: Buy the low end 13 and save the couple hundred dollars and use that towards upgrading ram and adding an SSD and i think you will find that you will have one beast of a computer for that price
     
  12. entatlrg macrumors 68040

    entatlrg

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2009
    Location:
    Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
    #12
    If the i5 runs cooler with less fan noise and you don't need the extra power then I'd go with the i5, plus you save some money.
     
  13. palpatine macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    #13
    why are you upgrading? if you were buying for the firsttime,it might make sense. but given your use, your current computer is more than sufficient. wait another year and you will see a much more significant return on your investment, with an even better processor and possibly a redesign.
     
  14. tamvly macrumors 6502a

    tamvly

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2007
    #14
    Sounds like you're doing what you want. Go for it. I just downsized to a 13 from a 15 and am OK with it. Frankly I miss the matte screen.
     
  15. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

    ddeadserious

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2008
    Location:
    Plymouth, MI
    #15
    Thanks for the input. I'm going to move on the Microcenter deal.

    Let me give you some history. I had a first gen MBP in '06, used it for 3 years(just never even thought of upgrading). Ended up getting an aluminum Macbook, but missed the backlit keyboard. As soon as the 13" MBP(2.23C2D) was released, I bought it(I recall calling the Apple store about 6 times that week:D). Used it up until last month when my mother bought it from me and I purchased this 15" i7 so I had some more power and screen real estate. I just got back into school and would like the portability of the 13" again. In another year or two, if there's a significant upgrade, I will use my tax return or sell some other junk to upgrade. I don't get attached to objects - they're just machines. I use them until I feel they're outdated and I replace them. Additionally, I could really use the extra cash from selling this right now.
     
  16. sk8r1230 macrumors 6502

    sk8r1230

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2010
    Location:
    Indiana
    #16
    im gonna comment on someone saying that the i5 runs cooler with less fan noise....i have the i7 and if it ran any cooler it would be an ice box...o and its as silent as can be. in other words...dont take heat and noise into consideration cause it simply isnt present.
     
  17. JamDonut macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 23, 2011
    Location:
    England, UK
    #17
    definately get the i5, the $400 is not worth the upgrade unless you are taking advantage of the CPU enough. It doesn't really sound like you are to me! i do a lot of video converting so would consider the i7. I'd also say you seem to be pushed toward the i7 already, don't settle because, to be honest i think a lot of us do, i always feel the need to get the higher-end because it's 'better', and whilst it doesn't really sound like you need it, and with an SSD especially your i5 will be by no means 'slow', it doesn't sound like you will be happy knowing you don't have the 'best' (i'm unfortunately the same), get what you really want, not what makes more sense, love your mac! lol
     
  18. gullySn0wCat macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2010
    #18
    2011 i5 = 100% faster than 2010 C2D in a lot of tasks. ;)
     

Share This Page