High-end 13' or Low-end 15'?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Forkaster, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Forkaster macrumors member

Hi,

I am upgrading my Core (1) Duo Macbook Pro, (yeah, a first gen MBP).

I am considering the high-end 13', I know the 15' is a quad core, but I don't think I really need it.

I am planning on upgrading the RAM of my 13' to 8Gb. If I go with a 15 there will be no $$ to do such upgrade.

I don't play games on the laptop (I have a WinBox for that), so the GPU doesn't bother me.

I do however run some VMs at times with other OSes to test somethings.

My question is, will the 13' be ok for this or should I just go 15'?

2. mashsensor macrumors member

13 is more than enough, I also have a desktop for pc games, hence why I picked up a highend 13 today, I will be dalo booting win7 and running VM, parallels, visual studio, sql server, eclipse, xcode among other things. Your deciding factor based on your usage requirement should be screen resolution vs portability, not an issue of power imho. I run VMware on my asus ul30vt with su7300 ulv core 2 duo with no problem.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The 13" sounds great for that. It's got plenty of power and you definitely want 8GB for VMs

4. Forkaster thread starter macrumors member

Well I plan to buy a 22'-23' screen to go with it, so screen real estate will not be an issue.

And I prefer a 13 because I do have to carry it around to show some results to my supervisor. Or give a keynote on something. So the portability of the 13' will suit just fine.

Thanks for the replies.

5. Tonsko macrumors 6502

Tonsko

Not strictly true. Only if you want to run more than 1 at a time. /pedant :D

6. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

7. Forkaster thread starter macrumors member

Which I do on ocassion, to test Virtual Lans And things on top of that.