Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
Apple refurbs have brand new external parts (everything you can see/touch) and brand new battery. The only parts that are "used" are the internals, like the CPU, RAM, mobo, etc. But those things outlast the rest of your laptop by a huge margin, so there is nothing to lose by getting a refurb, except to save money.

Bingo. Most people don't realize this. They are essentially new machines. The only thing that will hurt you is the box they come in for resale value.

With tax the refurb comes out to 1600. Better yet for $30 more you get the box.

http://www.macmall.com/p/product~dp...e=APPINSDRMWB32657&couponBox=APPINSDRMWB32657

cperry2

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
15". Wait, since you can afford to - it's a win-win because refurb prices will go down when the new models come out. You could even wait a short while after the new one comes out to snag a 2012 refurb, but maybe that's being too enthusiastic.

As for lasting 7 years, yeah it's technically possible, but only if you're willing to stay on older software after a certain point, and even an older OS (Lion doesn't work on most pre-2007 machines). You can certainly get some longevity by adding more RAM (up to 16gigs) and an SSD later on.

Personally I think a good upgrade cycle is 3-4 years. You can still resell for about 1/3-1/2 original value at that point, and comfortably keep on the crest of what's happening in software. But everyone's needs are different, and you can definitely get 7 years out of a macbook as long as you don't demand too much of it going forward.

Hard to say what things will be like in seven years - heck, seven years ago macs were still on power pc.

Suno

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2011
I ordered a refurbed iPod touch once from Apple. I was expecting a pretty much new iPod touch, just without the fancy box and accessories that came with it. What I got a was a fairly clean, but still obviously used iPod touch that had scratches and whatnot.

My point being that while refurb is a great deal, don't expect a pristine mint condition Macbook like I did with my iPod touch.

You can call me foolish for expecting something like that, but just read all of the comments on this forum regarding refurbs and you might understand why I thought that way.

NewGuyHere

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
yes also, is the anti glare screen worth it? I really want the high resolution too.

mobilebuddha

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
That's strange.. I've gotten a couple of iPod touch refurbs in the last year or so (for gifts, etc) and I've always gotten brand new ones. In each case I opened it up and examined the iPod. Couldn't tell it was ever used. Did I just get lucky?

Did you try to talk to the apple store/return the unit?

I ordered a refurbed iPod touch once from Apple. I was expecting a pretty much new iPod touch, just without the fancy box and accessories that came with it. What I got a was a fairly clean, but still obviously used iPod touch that had scratches and whatnot.

My point being that while refurb is a great deal, don't expect a pristine mint condition Macbook like I did with my iPod touch.

You can call me foolish for expecting something like that, but just read all of the comments on this forum regarding refurbs and you might understand why I thought that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.