High end 15" unibody will be with me in 2-3 days...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NStocks, Feb 9, 2009.

1. NStocks macrumors 65816

I have been given the option to upgrade my 3rd replacement unibody 15" MBP, due to defects ( mainly the screen ) and I can upgrade to any model ( at my expense), after chatting with the online apple store they said that she just placed a order with the high end 15" and it will be delivered within 2-3 days... meaning that they will have it on Thursday !

I was really wanting to get the 17" because of the screen quality but I have only got until 18th Feb to get a new one ( they extended my return date ). I'm still undecided which to get :

If I got the 15", I wouldn't really 'see' the difference, whereas if I got the 17" I would quite literally see the difference meaning that it's on the external of the machine and the 15" is only internal speed bumps etc. The cost isn't really a problem because for an extra £200 ish from the price of the high end 15" I would get a bigger and slightly better screen, and better battery life. ( I qualify for Higher Education discount )

Bottom line: is the 17" worth waiting for another month, and is the screen quality that much different from the 15", the battery life isn't really a huge reason for me to buy it however...

Thank you for your views

NStocks

2. aleni macrumors 68020

if you get the 15" now, later when u see the 1900x1200 resolution in 17" will make you cry for wanting it so bad..

3. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

I Know, and the current model I'm using has to be returned by the 18th ( even with the extended return date ! )

4. aleni macrumors 68020

but remember, this 17" is the beast! it's heavier than the 15". do u really need the extra resolution? if not, then get the 15" because waiting sucks!

but if i were u. i will wait for the 17" since i'm a clothes designer and i don't need to lug my notebook everywhere i go. i work at the desk.

5. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Look at it this way also, are you going to be using this as a desktop computer and not lugging it around all the time?

If it were me, and it were going to stay in the same place and NOT move, plus the fact that Apple is taking care of you , than you mite want to consider waiting. If your taking it with you every where than you mite be better off going with the 15"

How much do you NEED the 17" or is it just want because of the newest computer in apple's lineup :p

6. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

True, I will be taking it to University ( If i need to ), and will be using ArchiCAD, which is intense deisgn software to create 3d models etc.

NStocks

7. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

haha, I would like to have the newer MBP but I really want a high-res screen. At the minute I just take my MBP on my desk upstairs and sometimes take it downstairs to use in the living room

NStocks

8. aleni macrumors 68020

still. i will take the 17" over the 15" anyday. 17" might give u more weight to lug around, but nothing can beat the hi-res it got. and it's the only thing u always see when working on the computer, either writing, browsing or doing your 3d project.

9. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

Exactly. I think i will just place the order and get it done already !

NStocks

10. aleni macrumors 68020

u don't work with computer by lugging it, you work with them by starring it. so the hi res is a plus.

11. SummerBoy macrumors regular

SummerBoy

Google is your friend

Please use the search button

12. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

I also got iLife '09 sent to me for free, and the invoice stated that it would have cost £30( HE discount ). I've installed this on the current model which will be going back to Apple so what can I do with the used copy of iLife ?

13. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

The weight difference between the 2 models is insignificant now. I'd rather have the high res personally than the 2 year old 1440x900 screen the 15" MBP has.

14. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

My point exactly. The latest screen resolution, and battery technology !

NStocks

15. SummerBoy macrumors regular

SummerBoy

Hi res hi res

Sop the bs

This is lapop not a desktop

It's all about portabilit

If you want hi res that much, an don you get a external monitor so yup can have hi res plus poravolity I don bsdrstbsd

16. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't really understand your spelling, but I don't want a external monitor, the battery life would be great, the power would be great and the screen is awesome resolution. Just what I need really, and even if it's a few cm larger that doesn't matter because I doubt that I'll be carrying it around that much.

NStocks

17. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

At the moment, I have an external monitor, it can be annoying sometimes with having to switch between screens. I'll be buying the 17" possibly later this year because it offers so much in something so small a package.

Learn to type please as well, don't ignore the red lines before you slick 'submit'.

18. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

I've just emailed the University that I hope to be studying Architecture at to see if a Laptop is required, and if a 17" mac based Laptop is acceptable. ( assuming they use window boxes. )

NStocks

19. aleni macrumors 68020

i use macbook air 1.86ghz rev B since the SSD makes much difference in regarding to performance, opening a lot of apps within seconds it's amazing. i bought this macbook air for portability because when i need a bigger screen estate, i just use my 24inch LG LCD monitor. but when this happens, it can get annoying sometimes to plug it in to the external monitor. and i do miss the trackpad really when working on adobe illustrator. i usually use the mouse on my right hand, and the left hand stays on keyboard and sometimes on the trackpad to browse around in illustrator with 2 finger mouse gesture. i know i can just press the space and move around the mouse on my right hand, but i don't used to it.

and apple make this new 17" great in battery, so i'd rather have a little more weight and much battery power.

20. aleni macrumors 68020

and here's the proof summer boy, and yes, i do have the 16GB black iphone. Just like yours!. irony my gadgets are just the same as yours.

so this hi-res bs u are calling are coming from someone who has the most portable notebook in the world. (not a freakin netbook though).

Attached Files:

21. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Fixed the misunderstanding there for you.

22. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

Arghhh, I still don't know which to get and time is rapidly running out. Do I get the 15" and be pleased with the price and portability aspect, or get the 17" and threat that I can't take it anywhere as my 15" only just fits my school bag :(

Why apple why, can't you make a high-res 15" :mad:. lol

NStocks