High end 15" vs low end 17" MBP..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fullmanfullninj, Apr 13, 2010.

1. fullmanfullninj macrumors regular

Well, I'm off to college and I'm excited about getting a MBP. In my city, it's pretty customary for parents to buy HS seniors laptops when they go off to college. My parents have agreed to follow suit.

I might be going with an education discount, so yeah..nice to keep in mind.

So before, resolution has always been a pressing issue for me. Before the refresh, the 15" has had a resolution far too small for me. But now...I think with the $150 upgrade to hi-res antiglare, resolution is workable now.

Portability isn't really necessary, I won't be lugging it EVERYWHERE so portability is not an issue.

The only difference is the 15" has i7 and the 17" has i5.
    Expresscard vs sd won't matter for me.

So the 15" with hi-res antiglare will bring me to 2350 (rounded up from 2349).
    The 17" with antiglare will bring me up to 2350 as well.

Only differences:
    size, resolution (17" is still larger..), and i7 vs i5.

I'm not sure how big of a difference the 15" i7's 2.66ghz will be compared to the 17" i5's 2.53ghz.

2. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Im in the same boat.......Im going back and forth between the 17" core i7 and the 17" core i5.....Theres a .13mhz speed bump with the 2.66 over the 2.53 and the i7 has 1 more mb of L3 cache.....someone help!!! LOL

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

You really need an i5 or i7 chip just to do some emails, web surfing, iTunes, a few photos, some power point and writing a few papers?

what state are you in?

Macconnection offers no tax to many states plus rebates.

I can hardly wait for all these same exact threads to stop. =)

4. fullmanfullninj thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, I appreciate the reply. I guess I should have said more?

I also do photography on the side. I'd be using Adobe Photoshop (i included the adobe purposefully .. ironic hah considering the adobe vs apple..anyway, I digress).

I also intend on using Final Cut and Aperture.

Since I can't take my rig with me to college, I need to settle for something comparable. I don't use Aperture/Final Cut on my PC since well...obviously...but I do edit movies and pictures on here. It does get resource intensive sometimes.

Heck, I'll probably be using it more for other things than doing actual college work..lol..

I'm in California.

5. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

I run the entire Adobe Creative Suite + Quark 8 on a 2.4 C2D AL iMac w/4 gigs ram and it handles it all without even breaking a sweat. And I'm talking multi hundred meg Photoshop files and 100+ page documents with gigs and gigs of links.

So again, even unless your Photoshop use is going to be even greater than mine, then either iChip is 10X more than enough.

I can open 10 or 12 100 meg Photoshop files in about 20 seconds.

My photographer sends me an entire DVD of RAW images, and again, they pop right open.

you should go with macconnection -- no tax, free shipping to CA and soon they will have $150 rebates on the new MBPs. A far larger savings than a crappy edu discount.

You could get a 13" MBP + 21" iMac = 15" MBP...

6. fullmanfullninj thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, thanks again for that. I've never had a Mac so I don't know. Well, I do own a PowerPC G5 that pretty much runs just a bit short of my PC from 07...but yeah, thanks for pointing out the Adobe stuff.

Um. Are you suggesting I get a 15" MBP vs a 17 then?
    You seem to say that an i5 would suit me, which is the 17" has, haha.

So now I guess it's just down to resolution and...size?

And I wish I could get that 13" MBP and 21" iMac combo haha. Sadly, my parents would let me get only one item, so they'd probably just get me a 13" MBP, which I don't really want.
    (Note, I use sadly knowing that this is a luxury >_> I know a lot of this is because I'm lucky and my parents are able to know this and it's a luxury...I don't want to seem excessively spoiled [I do admit I am to an extent given what I have], but I do not want to seem like a dbag for saying 'sadly i only get one apple product' where I know that others struggle to own one >_>)

7. the Helix macrumors regular

the Helix

Photography

If you are a photographer and use Photoshop often, then you ought to get the 17" with the high resolution screen. There is nothing like screen real estate (1900 x 1200!!!).

With the 17", you also get the express card slot and more ports. If you also want portability, then get and iPad with it.

my 2¢