High end 2011 MBP really worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mark28, May 30, 2011.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

If you can get a 21" iMac 2.5 ghz i5 Quad core with ATI 6750m + 13" MBP for almost the same price?

2. a5tod macrumors newbie

I dont need 2 computers. Would rather have a desktop powered computer on the go. Everybody is different though, but I wouldn't trade my 17" for anything.

3. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

It depends on whether you need power on the go. If you need a home machine anyway and just want something to check email while away, then it's fine (although if that was the case I'd get the 13" Air). For me, I like the idea of having everything centralized and at my fingertips, so a high-end MBP was the ideal solution.

4. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I have one. Paid the top $ for it. It is a monster to say the least. I only wanted one computer so I decided to go for the most I could get in a MacBook Pro but stay 15" not 17". Also, I wanted to get it out of the B&M Apple Store and not order it on line. Instant gratification. I also spent a lot of time with the glossy standard res screen and the high res matte. It is totally up to the individual as to what works best for them and their vision. Both in my opinion are nice screens. In the end only you can decide what works for you in a computer and how much money you can spend on it.

5. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I'd get the high end MBP. I don't see why i would rather have two powerful computers when I could have one that ultimately did more.

Of course, value wise the two computers would be more useful than the single and depending on what you do, I'd choose this option.

Now. I say that the one single computer would be better, however for my needs two computers would be better than one.

Meh, go for the two computers. You would have the portability of the machine in the field and a more powerful machine when you got back. Not to mention just having two computers. This would allow you to say, do work or browse the web on one while watching a movie or something on the other.

6. pandamonia macrumors 6502a

What you are forgetting is the imac is a gimped up laptop stuck on a desk.

Dont care what apple say.

Get the macbook pro because it really is a mobile mac that you can use anywhere.

if you need a desktop then build your own PC.

7. mac jones macrumors 68040

I did the exact same thing (same machine). Decided to do it at the Apple store also. I could have saved a few bucks by buying it online but this machine isn't exactly a cost cutter in the first place, also, there are benefits to dealing with the store directly.

I'm happy with this particular machine, although if I was a frequent flyer I would use the Air (been there, done that..too often)

I had the previous version of the High end 15" and this new unibody (AG) is much nicer. Not to mention how extremely powerful they now are, especially if you throw in a SSD

8. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

A gimped up laptop with a heck of a screen ;)

Well, and more of a gimped up desktop. For a laptop, the components are pretty good.

9. gsxrq macrumors member

forget the ssd and the mbp had 2 17" and they don't work with fast ssd
    waiting for my third and final if its not fixed
    then it will be imac or wait for new pro

cant belive they put sata 3 in but not tested at that speed
    its a donkey

10. pandamonia macrumors 6502a

Sorry my desktops have had 24" screens since about 1999

Not to mention real desktop parts with full desktop power.

if im going to be limited to mobile parts then i want the computer to be mobile.

11. asdf542 macrumors 6502

The only thing mobile in the iMac is the GPU, which isn't too big of a deal because if Apple were using desktop GPU's then they would likely be the exact same power as what they are using now.

6970M = 6850
    6770M = 6670
    6750M = 6570

And the display in the iMac is an IPS LED backlit display. I'd love to see what 1999 display you're comparing it to. :rolleyes:

12. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I have tried so many combinations including the Air. As you say, been there, done that) My biggest thing was going away from the glossy screen. The hi res really wasn't the issue. Did you always have the AG hi res? Do you currently have a SSD installed. I am considering that for the future although for my usage I have no idea why:)

13. corvus32 macrumors 6502a

I might would do that and gift one. But, for all intents and purposes, a 17" MBP is a 21.5" Core i7 iMac in a portable 3kg package with seven hours of battery life. The best of both worlds, IMO.