High-end 21.5" iMac Purchase Help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gregpod9, Jan 10, 2015.

1. gregpod9 macrumors regular

I currently have a late 2013 13" MBPr (i5 2.6/8GB/512GB SSD) as my primary computer and its all the time plugged in and sits on my desk. I really need a desktop. I went to the Apple Store to view the iMacs and the 27" iMac is too big for me. I decided that the high-end 21.5" iMac with a SSD is perfect for me. Before I ordered it, I have a few questions:

1. Should I stay with the i5 2.9 GHz or upgrade to the i7 3.1 GHz? I will not do any video editing, I rip cds to Apple Lossless through iTunes. I might use VM and definitely use bootcamp for Windows 8.1.

2. Should I have the 256GB SSD or upgrade to 512GB SSD? I have an external 1TB USB 3.0 HDD that has my Apple Lossless music. I heard that Apple has two suppliers for the 256GB SSD which are Sandisk and Samsung. Is there anything wrong with Sandisk SSD? I know the Samsung SSD is preferred.

3. Should I upgrade to 16GB memory or stay with 8GB memory?

4. Should I get the Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad?

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I doubt you will much difference in speed between the two processors. Better to spend the money elsewhere.

I prefer keeping whatever data I can on the SSD. Using an external for data just complicates your backup procedure too. I could never live with 256gb. YMMV

Before I upgraded to 16, the only time I ran into memory problems was running Parallels and Windows. Never a problem with 16 gb. Since you can't upgrade later you might want to consider it.

Do you use a mouse with the MBP? It really depends on which you prefer. I prefer a mouse but will use a trackpad if it's all I have.

3. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

bigrell486

Based on what you posted, it doesn't sound like you actually need a new computer. Have you considered buying a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. That may be all you need.

4. 65535 macrumors member

I'd second picking up a decent monitor and setting up your laptop in either a stand next to the monitor or in a vertical dock (both for cooling purposes).

You have a pretty powerful laptop as it is.

5. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

It doesn't really matter based on what u use it for, get the 512, my MacBook Pro has the 512 and I've used over a hundred on photos (photoshop,pictures)
    3. i have the 16gb of ram and i really don't tell diff get the 8gb
    4. magic mouse, the trackpad is really confusing if your not using it on a mac