High end 21.5 or 27?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by virginblue4, Jan 20, 2013.

1. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I'm not sure whether to go with the 21.5" 3.1 i7, 1TB fusion drive and 16GB RAM or 27" 3.4 i7, 1TB fusion drive, 8GB RAM (add my own in future).

I will be using it for games such as Sims 3, SimCity, nothing too intense. Some photo and video editing and web browsing. Will the 1GB VRAM make much of a difference over the 512mb for my kind of gaming? That's the deciding factor. I don't want to spend the extra if I don't need to.

2. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

1GB VRAM is the standard these days for any kind of new games coming out. Of course you will be able to run them but you will have to go a bit lower than average on the graphics settings. The biggest deciding factor between the two is the screen size.

I chose the 27" because I need to have references open as will as a blank canvas at the same time for illustration work. I need to have two viewports up in 3D work and I have gotten used to use a larger screen.

3. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

I went with a fully loaded 27", mainly because, these units are not meant to be upgraded (with the exception of Ram on the 27). If today you need a 1GB video card, but tomorrow a 2GB video card will carry you well into 3+ years, then why not go with that. This option is not available on the 21.5. Processor can bump to a 3.4 instead of 3.1 (nominal but higher nonetheless), 3TB Fusion option in the 27 vs only 1TB option in the 21.5 (no clue why, shouldnt make a difference since its probably the same size drive, however, no option to go higher on the 21.5 nor upgrade it later).

I upgrade my laptop every couple years, and I dont need a $3000 desktop to be a common laptop for me, I rather splurge get everything I can out of the 27" and have it last me 3-5 years and not be too slow come year 3,4 or 5.

Some cannot afford the $3k upfront so it is understandable getting the lower spec 21.5, but you do have to realize this machine wont last as long.

Just my $.02.

4. virginblue4 thread starter macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I was looking at the specs for both SimCity 5 (256mb VRAM) and Sims 3 (128mb) so 512mb should be plenty, surely? Also, I prefer the size of the 21.5" screen. Plus there is quite a long wait time for the 27".

Ahhh, decisions!

5. joeholl1979 macrumors member

I wanted to play games on mine too, mainly Battlefield 3 on Bootcamped Windows. My recommendation is that if you're going to get one, spend the money now so you're not disappointed down the road. If you get the 27", I would definitely get at least the 1GB video card; it's only a couple hundred more bucks more.