High End Audio Components

jota73

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
South America
Guys

I am trying to remember a brand of speakers (high end) that a old friend talked to me once.

I think the name starts with "a" it is a strange name... can anyone give me a hand here?

thanks

I remember they sell directly, they have no distribution partners... at least that is what they said on their website, what allowed them to have better prices than any other brand.

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Some pro audio 'A' brands:

Alesis
Apogee
Akai
Audio-Technica
AKG

? That's all I can think of.

Nugget

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
Houston Texas USA
I wouldn't call them "high end" at all, but what you're describing sounds a lot like Axiom Speakers.

I evaluated these when I built out my theater a few years ago and they were ok, but I went with a close competitor of theirs instead (Onyx Rocket) instead.

Both are worth checking out. Great bang for buck.

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
Adam are the ones you are looking for whether you know it or not.
The Adam A7s are the best price/performance speaker you can get IMO.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Actually, I'd say a used pair of PSB 300's are impossible to beat in value for money terms.....We used to dem them on Target R4 stands and people ALWAYS guessed them as ProAc Response 2s.......which cost literally ten times the money ($3000 vs. $300 for the PSBs).

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Unknown brand name, offers "pro quality" speakers cheaper because they don't have any distribution partners....

This sounds suspiciously like the dudes selling cheap Chinese speakers out of backs of vans around Europe and England. They claim that they were delivering to a "recording studio" which - {went bust, wouldn't pay, ordered too many} - and they have these "$2000 speakers" they can sell you for only $600 because they - {already have shipped them here, they have no distribution middleman, they'll give you the same volume discount they were offering the studio}. The speakers of course are worth about $75 and you'll never get warranty coverage or find the company again.

jota73

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
South America
Unknown brand name, offers "pro quality" speakers cheaper because they don't have any distribution partners....

This sounds suspiciously like the dudes selling cheap Chinese speakers out of backs of vans around Europe and England. They claim that they were delivering to a "recording studio" which - {went bust, wouldn't pay, ordered too many} - and they have these "$2000 speakers" they can sell you for only $600 because they - {already have shipped them here, they have no distribution middleman, they'll give you the same volume discount they were offering the studio}. The speakers of course are worth about $75 and you'll never get warranty coverage or find the company again.
I understand, I know, it is not that way... in fact I also saw the name written on a forum at macrumors.... Just dont manage to remember. I even surfed their website, they had a nice self service app in which they recommended the best options for you according to room size, etc...
Products were well finished, nice subwoofers (8, 10 and 12") stand alone speakers, etc... I just can not remember the name.... arghh!
No they definately are not.... by the way they dont look nice...
thanks, but it ain`t

jota73

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
South America
Well if you are going to judge speakers by whether you think they 'look nice' or not I have nothing else to add here.
I dont mean that is all what I am considering.... what I meant is:

BOSE offers at least for me..... good sound quality and nice finished speakers.... can u suggest any brand that offers the same in design and better sound quality?

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
I dont mean that is all what I am considering.... what I meant is:

BOSE offers at least for me..... good sound quality and nice finished speakers.... can u suggest any brand that offers the same in design and better sound quality?
i don't see that as any better than what you said previously.

i had some adam a7's in here for a while, and they were most excellent. but i reckon you're talking about consumer-friendly speakers, not mixer-friendly like the adams.

enjoy your furniture!

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
AAD
Acarian Systems
Accuphase
Accurate Sound Wave
Accusonic
ACI
ACOUSTAT
Acoustic Design
Acoustic Energy
Acoustic Image
Acoustic Precision
Acoustic Research
Acoustic Zen
AcoustTech
Acurus
Acustik-Lab
ADA
Adcom
Adire Audio
ads
Advanced
Advent
AER Advance Engineering Research, Inc.
Aerial Acoustics
AH!
Aiptek
Air Tight
AKAI
AKG Acoustics
Akira
Alchemist
Alesis
Alien
Alisca Orange
Allison Acoustics
Aloia
Alpha-Core
Alphason
Alphax Industries
Alpine
ALR Jordan
Altec Lansing
Alternate Audio
Altman
Altmann Micro Machines
Altra Audio
Altus
AM Audio
AmbienceSpeakerSystems
AMC
American
American FarmWorks
AmeriCo
Amoi
Amperex
Amphion
Amphony
Ampro
Amstrad
Analysis Plus
Angstrom
Antenna Performance Specialties
Anthem
Antique Sound Lab
Antique Sound USA
Anycom
Aodm
Apacer
Apature
Aperion Audio
Apex
Apex Digital
Apogee Acoustics
Apollo
April Music
Apt Holman
AR
Aragon
Arcam
ArchiTech
Archos
Arcici
ArciTec Acoustic
Argent Cable
Arista
Arkon Resources
Aronov Audio
Arrow
Artech
Artemis Eos
Ascend Acoustics
ASC-Tube Trap
Aspire Digital
ASUSA
Atacama
ATC
Athena Technologies
ATI Audio
Atlantic Technology
Atlantis
Atlas
Atma-sphere
Atoll Electronique
Atomic
ATP Systems
Audax
AUDES
AudiAV
Audible Illusions
Audience
Audio Aero
Audio Agile
Audio Alchemy
Audio Analogue
Audio Analyze
Audio Artistry
Audio by Van Alstine
Audio Concepts
Audio Dynamics Corp
Audio Electronic Supply
Audio Experience
Audio Horizons
Audio Influx
Audio Innovations
Audio Magic
Audio Matiere
Audio Note
Audio Physic
Audio Power Industries
Audio Prism
Audio Pro
Audio Refinement
Audio Research
Audio Spice
Audio Vector
AudioControl
Audiodyne
Audiofile
Audiolab
Audiolinear
AudioLogic
Audiomat
Audiomeca
Audion
Audioplex
Audioprism
AudioQuest
AudioSource
Audio-Spectrum
Audiostatic
AudioStream
AudioSystemTuning
Audio-Technica
AudioTruth
Audiovox
Audiovox
Audiowell
Audire
Aura
Aural Audio
Aural Symphonics
Aureal
Aurora
Aurousal
Aurum Cantus
AVA
Avalon Acoustics
Avance Technologies
Avantgarde
AVDECO
AVerMedia
AVF
AVI
Avrak
Axiom Speaker Company
Axion
Axion
AXIS
Ayon Audio
Ayre Acoustics

ausdave

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2007
No they definately are not.... by the way they dont look nice...
You really should have a listen to the Adams.... they make some of the best speaker in the world, and the A7s are amazing for their price.

Don't judge speakers by their looks (I personally love the look of the Adams) get a coffee table if you wanna do that!

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
Bose are very expensive and sound subpar.

If you want consumer speakers check out Paradigm.

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
Guys

I am trying to remember a brand of speakers (high end) that a old friend talked to me once.

I think the name starts with "a" it is a strange name... can anyone give me a hand here?

thanks

I remember they sell directly, they have no distribution partners... at least that is what they said on their website, what allowed them to have better prices than any other brand.
Not sure what you're looking for but "high end" has a very broad meaning...

Since speakers run all over the place in terms of price, I could point you to a pair of speakers for $200 that sound great, or a pair of $250,000 speakers that sound great.

Also, I wouldn't restrict your search to some pair that you heard about that starts with an "a".... There could be just as many pairs that start with some other letter that sound just as good, and you might have better luck finding them if you have had little luck remembering what the other pair was (have you tried asking your friend again?).

Personally, I find some of the British manufacturers do a hell of a job producing speakers of exceptional quality in terms of reproduction accuracy for a reasonable price. These include Paradigm (Canada is part of the Commonwealth), KEF and Tannoy. Tannoy produces speakers both for consumer and professional audio engineering purposes.

My reference set consists of KEF Q5 front towers, Q9c Center channel, Q-Compact full-range bookshelf surrounds, and KEF PSW-2150 10" 250-watt powered subwoofer. I bought this entire matched set of separates for around $2000 just as it was being replaced by the iQ series, and thus got it at a decent discount. I then bought a second pair of Q-Compacts for my desktop computer. They're not active monitors so they do need an amp/preamp or receiver... but I happened to have an old one lying around so I spent a total of $140 for sound that absolutely annihilates any consumer PC satellite speaker set.

I find $2000 - $4000 to be a pretty good investment in a full-range set of speakers... not too ostentatious a budget, and just enough to attain a noticeable margin of quality. For every dollar you spend above $4000, the perceivable marginal quality tends to diminish considerably.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.