High end CPU options

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andeify, Nov 19, 2014.

1. andeify macrumors 6502

andeify

The top two high end 15" MacBook Pro CPU options are the 2.5ghz i7-4870HQ which has a Geekbench single core score of 3625 and a multi core score of 14019 and the 2.8ghz i7-4980HQ which has a single core score of 3859 and a multi core score of 14651. (All scores are 64bit results)

The 2.5ghz is 6% single, 4.3% multi and 10.7% ghz slower than the 2.8ghz model, which is 6.4% single, 4.5% multi and 12% ghz faster over the 2.5ghz, whichever way you choose to look at it.

I assume the 2.8ghz model will run slightly hotter and its fans may need to run slightly faster when taxed, its not a noticable difference performance wise so is it worth an extra £150?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Usually, with computers, the rule of thumb is "if you have to ask, you don't need it".

Honestly, unless your computer is your main source of income, and your job involves pegging your CPU at 100% for hours on end where every second counts, it is NEVER worth it to upgrade your CPU.

3. Xace macrumors newbie

As the previous user says, you won't notice a difference in everyday use.

The reason is that even if you tax your computer a lot, CPU power is not the only thing that matters. The other components, that stay the same in both configurations, like the amount of memory and disk speed mostly determine the overall system performance so the differences you see in CPU benchmarks are diluted even more.