high end earbud dysfunction drama

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bandonsuz, Nov 28, 2009.

1. bandonsuz macrumors newbie

just making sure I reach out to all potentially helpful forums (just posted iPod.tune forum)

here's my sad story: $400 Shure earbuds went out in one channel for the entire warranty period (2 yers) I think they replaced them 3 times. I was so frustrated I recently bought the Sennheiser IE8. In less than a month the sound seriously diminished in both channels, especially the left. Yes, I can return them under warranty but my Q is: why is this happening. I'm a librarian, not using them in a sports environment. I wear the buds around my neck with the iPod in holder......do you think I keep causing these dysfunctions or what? suz, mondo frustrated

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

i have the same problem 3 times with a set of ultimate ears, and now with a set of 3 month old etymotics (think it was the left ear to go out each time), i believe mine comes from keeping the phone in my pocket, and the junction where the wire enters the plug constantly being flexed.

do you wrap your cable around the phone when not in use, putting strain on the cable?

try flexing the cable right at the back of the plug, and see if the audio comes and goes.

I'm going to be buying a small extension so that hopefully in the future the $10 cable will die, and not the $150 headphones.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Both of those headphones should be able to live up to the wear and tear of most users, especially if you aren't doing anything that serious. I would recommend the Shure e5, it's more professional and has a much thicker cable and what not, designed for a tad bit harder use.