High End Macbook or Low End Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mongoose8p, Oct 14, 2008.

1. mongoose8p macrumors regular

I can't decide!!!! I love having the smaller screen but at the same time I don't... there so similar ... I'm not sure if i really need the extra graphical power... whats everyone else thinking?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. mongoose8p thread starter macrumors regular

im not worried about the money I just sold my MBP and got a big portion of the original cost back...

thats what I cant decide about.....

4. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Like the poster above said, do you need the 9600GT GPU? Do you play latest games etc. or just stuff like Spore / World of Warcraft? If the latter the 9400M should suffice, and you can save yourself $700. Only thing is the LCD. Do you need 15.4" or do you plug your laptop into an external monitor at home anyways (in which case the 13.3" on the Macbook is good.).

5. marvel2 macrumors 6502

Specs are close enough that it will almost come down to screen size. You can save yourself some money and get the 1599 MB if you don't need the gpu.

6. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

It's not $700 difference, it's $400. And yeah, it just comes down to the GPU and screen size. If you want the larger screen and/or play games (or plan on adding a Blu Ray drive) or want better performance for other programs down the line, get the MBP.

That said, the 9600GT isn't impressive at all, but it's over twice as powerful as the integrated graphics in the MB.

7. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

do you have a dv or hdv video camera?
    do you have any firewire drives?

because if you do the macbook won't have firewire and you won't be able to capture footage or use those drives.

Other than that the main differences are graphics power and resolution, 1440x900 on the pro and 1200x800 on the macbook.

8. smukkebenne macrumors member

I went for the Pro mainly because I will be using it without a second screen most of the time.

9. Gigem09 macrumors newbie

Running games

Any of yall think the new 1599.00 Macbook will run Warhammer Online or Lord of the Rings Online fine?

I'm sure it can run World of Warcraft or Spore or whatnot as mentioned earlier but I am a student as well and I'm trying to decide if the extra 400.00 would have that much more of a noticeable effect on gaming.

I would definitely be getting an external monitor for the MB and possibly if I got the MBP looking into one as well.

I've had my PowerBook G4 for about 3.5 years and its definitely ready for an upgrade.

10. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

It's over twice as powerful-so yes, it's a VERY noticeable impact, and well worth the money.

You can get MUCH higher end hardware for the money though. Apple's WAY behind the curve in GPUs (again). You can get the equivalent GPU in Windows systems for $1000, or less. (Although those systems wouldn't have an LED backlight, although that has nothing to do with performance.)