High-end Macbook or Low-end MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by daviesified, Jan 11, 2009.

1. daviesified macrumors member

I currently have a late-2007 MacBook 2.2Ghz, and I am looking to upgrade to one of the new models, but i'm just not sure which model to go for. Is the difference in price between the high-end MacBook and low-end MacBook Pro justified? Screen size isn't of major importance to me, although I would prefer the 15", but it's like a 55/45 split between the 2.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

3. daviesified thread starter macrumors member

It's for personal, rather than work use. I do frequently use iMovie though, and I am looking to take that further, which is why I am looking to upgrade. Would the additional graphical power of the MacBook Pro result in improved performance in this application?
    At the moment I am leaning towards the MacBook Pro.

4. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

iMovie will see no improvement from the "graphical power" of the MacBook Pro.

5. daviesified thread starter macrumors member

"iMovie will see no improvement from the "graphical power" of the MacBook Pro. "

Then what is the best way to improve performance on iMovie?

6. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

RAM. And maybe a faster hard drive/SSD.

7. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

RAM, HDD speed and processor speed

8. daviesified thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info. I think it's just going to be a case of walk into the Apple Store and it being an impulse decision! It really is 50/50 at the moment!

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I also have the same MacBook as the OP. I would upgrade myself to a MBP. Better LCD panel, bigger resolution, etc. Honestly, I would either buy the 2.0GHz MB lower end model or the lower end 15" MBP. the extra little boost from the CPU from 2.0 to 2.4 doesn't cut it. Neither does the backlit keyboard in terms of frugality. The 15" MBP has features that make me want to upgrade, but the 2.4GHz model MB does not, all except the $200 backlit keyboard.

10. daviesified thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your input. The more i think about it, the more i'm leaning toward the MBP. I was hoping Apple would have made my decision a lot easier during Macworld, but unfortunately it didn't really affect me in anyway!

I'll let you know what decision I make tomorrow... Thanks for the help!