high-end MB keyboards in low-end MB

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by maclust22, Oct 17, 2008.

1. maclust22 macrumors newbie

With the two styles of macbooks being manufactured the same would it be possible to remove the backlit keyboard from the high-end and put it in the low end?

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I don't see why not, but where do you plan on getting one? And if you find one, I can't imagine it would be very cheap. Plus you would void your warranty. Bad idea all around.

3. maclust22 thread starter macrumors newbie

It was just an idea that popped in my head today, maybe later when people start spilling things on them and sell them as parts.

4. pufftissue macrumors regular

the macfixit posts show that it is possible, although you need to remove 56 screws. But you can do it. The problem is, I think the part might sell for $90 or so, which might negate the price benefits and hassle, so you might as well buy the higher macbook model to begin with. Which is why Apple upsells you stuff. Granted, you could maybe sell your nonbacklit keyboard for$30-$40, so I think that I'd pay $50 in effect to upgrade to the backlit keyboard. I know I just contradicted myself.

5. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

6. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj