High-End October 2011 15.4" or Base Model June 2012 15.4"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by oddsratio, Jun 13, 2012.

  1. oddsratio, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

    oddsratio macrumors newbie

    May 18, 2012
    I was able to return a previous 'used' unit to Amazon and have been on my old computer since.

    Current Price for the 2.4 Ghz Model (Very good, used through Amazon Warehouse, not 3rd party): 1396. I've had great luck with the warehouse route, so this would be the top price I'd be paying. Comes with the full year of apple care. They could lower it another $100 in a couple days, don't know if I want to take the chance.

    Current Price for the Base 2.3 Ghz Model w/student Discount: 1846+ maybe 80 more off if I sell the included gift card somewhere.

    GPU and CPU are a nice update, but geekbench measures the speed of these two configurations pretty closely, plus the 2.4 ghz has a full 1gb of GPU ram. My ideal is to do that on the current top-model, but I don't want to spend that much right now, so retina is also out of the question, for a number of other reasons. I play games through steam, but I'm limited to 1440X900 on my external monitor anyway. I connect the computer to the 36" for HD playback.

    The big selling point of the new one under this scenario is USB 3.0. I can abide by FW 800 for data for now, so is it worth waiting for cheaper TB hubs w/3.0 to come out after Belkin tests the waters?
  2. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

    Oct 6, 2005

    Did you end up going with the Amazon Warehouse deal? I wish I would have jumped on it earlier since now it is over $1650. I saw this post initially and hesitated, then it sold out. How was the condition? How many battery cycles? Did it have iLife installed? I may end up going with the base 2011 (2.2GHz/512mb GPU) for an upgrade of my early 2011 13" mbp.
  3. oddsratio thread starter macrumors newbie

    May 18, 2012
    Yeah, I went with it, because at the end of the day the upgrades on the 2012 version didn't seem like it'd be worth the $400 price difference. The box was beat-up, but the computer itself was in like new condition. It had 2 cycle counts on the battery, but everything else was fine. It didn't have ilife installed, but when you open up the app store, and go to the purchased list, it will prompt you to accept them for download. I upgraded from a 2008 unibody, so it's just nice to have the larger screen and a discrete GPU. It's a shame I don't think I'll be able to go back to a 13" screen.

    1350's not a bad price for the older base model, though I have to say I'm glad I am done with worrying about pricing, because it could go lower still or plain sell out. It looks like Amazon is still clearing out the NIB old models.

    I was hoping to get more input before I bit the bullet, but I'm glad I stuck with this one over the new base model.

Share This Page