High-end or low-end of Macbook pro 15-inch?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MXM, May 25, 2009.

1. MXM macrumors member

Hi,

I'm considering whether to buy the low-end or the high-end of 15-inch Macbook pro. Can someone give me some suggestions please? Here is how I'll be using it most of the time.
    - web-browsing, emailing, chatting over skype
    - listening to music, watching DVD
    - writing some documents as word or excel

I guess the low-end 15' is more than enough for the tasks above, but I may also play some games (if I can find some good Mac games, such as the strategy games) and run some other fun applications. Do you think I should get the high-end instead?

I think the spec of the high-end should allow me to use it for a longer time without having to upgrade, but it also depends on whether the machine can actually last long before various problems show up that would force me to get a new one.

Thanks.

2. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

Can't talk from experience here but I am fairly sure that the lower end model will be plenty for what you want from it. From what I can gather from your post, you aren't such a serious gamer (correct me if I'm wrong) and so the 2.4 should be fine for you.

However, many people recommend that you buy the best that you can afford, so that in the future, as you said, your computer will still be working and up to standard.

In my opinion, the 2.4 would be fine (that's what I plan on getting).

3. nutritious macrumors 6502

Dude, in 5 years, both will work the same...By the time the base model is outdated, so will the top-end ones. Practically the same CPU and same GPU besides the added extra (and worthless) memory on the GPU...

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why are you spending the extra money for the Macbook Pro if this is what you're using it for? The lowest-end Macbook will do all of these things with little to no noticeable performance loss. And when it comes time to replace your machine, the next one isn't going to do basically any of these things any faster.

5. MXM thread starter macrumors member

I thought about getting a Macbook before, and a main reason for getting a Pro is its larger screen size and its quality. I heard the screen quality of Pro is much better. I don't know if my eyes strain easily if I stare at a Macbook for a long time.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The Pros do have better screens, but they're still 15" at the end of the day. For an extra $300 or so you could get a nice external monitor and avoid those issues for things in which screen quality and size matters more (like watching movies, for example). You'd save in the neighborhood of $500-600 if you got the MB/external monitor as opposed to the Pro.

7. MXM thread starter macrumors member

I'm not a serious gamer, and may only play games such as Aoe, Civ or Simcity. Can I run those games on the lower-end with less memory on the graphics card?

8. MXM thread starter macrumors member

My problem is that I don't have enough space on my desk to put another external monitor and that's one reason why I completely ruled out 17''. :)

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Well you'd still have money left over to buy a new desk... ;-)

That does indeed change the situation. College dorm desk or something? I remember those; they were awful...

10. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

Presuming that you have room for an actual desk and not just a podium, and that your current desk doesn't physically have room for an external monitor and is not just too cluttered, why don't you just work on purchasing an entirely new working center.

Low-end macbook + external monitor + new desk would be a better use of your money than a high-end macbook pro in terms of productivity.

11. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

This is true, but at the same time 11 years ago we were coping with huge 17" CRT displays and towers in dorm rooms, so I think a 20" display and notebook would not create a huge problem.

12. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

there is very little real world performance difference between the low-end and the high-end. moving to the 17" will be a large boost, but you say it's not possible.

i would agree with the thoughts of MB+external.

13. MXM thread starter macrumors member

Assuming I can manage to push other stuff around to make some room for a 20'' display, I'll have more to carry around when I'm vacation....

How bad is the screen of a Macbook really? And can I still play games using the integrated graphic card?

14. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

While I agree that all that you want you computer for can be done on a macbook, I can see why you want the MBP. The low end MBP is overkill for what you use it for, so there is defiantly no reason to get the high end.

15. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

There's been reports from the field coming in stating that apple has been using different lcd screens on the macbooks bought in the last couple of months, and the new screens are noticeably better than the originals.

16. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Go with the cheaper computer and external screen.

17. coronel mustard macrumors member

coronel mustard

You should be able to run them easily on the new macbook. I can run Sim City 4 on my late 2008 Whitebook with no problems.

18. MXM thread starter macrumors member

Do you mean the 2.4G or 2.0G Macbook? Regarding to simcity 4, I heard it may run into some technical problems if I use an intel based Mac, did it happen to you?

19. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

There is a beta Universal patch available from Aspyr. I use it on my 2.0ghz 20" iMac with 3gb RAM and only 128mb graphics memory just fine.

20. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Wow. I never realized that Apple's tactic of charging an extra $1000 for an extra 2" of screen size actually worked on people.

Seriously, go with a Macbook Refurb. $850 for the White model, or $1100 for the Aluminum. You have zero need for what the MBP offers. And then get an external monitor. I'm typing this now while sitting in front of my 24" 1920x1200 monitor, connected to my white Macbook.

21. Liam8 macrumors 6502

Liam8

Easy question

If you can afford to get the high end you might as well. Am I right?:confused::D

22. coronel mustard macrumors member

coronel mustard

I have the 2.1 Ghz White Macbook- probably not that late 2008 :p. The one with the Intel GMA X3100 graphics card, 1 gig of ram. Sim City 4 runs fine on it- however it does start to lag slightly over built up areas.

23. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Normally, I would agree with you 100% on refurbs, but the newer macbooks are supposed to have received different screens in the last couple of months that are the equals contrast wise to the macbook pros. And by newer, I mean ones purchased in April and May.

24. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Really? Where have you been for the past 5 years or so?