High-End Rev. E MBP vs. Low-End New MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by steamed.hams, Oct 14, 2008.

1. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

High End Rev E. MBP:

Intel Core 2 Duo at 2.5 GHz
    800MHz FSB, 6 MB shared L2 cache
    250 GB Serial ATA at 5,400-rpm
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 512 MB GDDR3 memory

New Low-End MBP:

Intel Core 2 Duo at 2.4GHz
    1066MHz FSB, 3MB shared L2 cache
    250 GB Serial ATA at 5,400-rpm
    NVIDIA 9400M + 9600M with 256 MB

I'm torn as to what decision to make, seeing that the Rev E is $500 cheaper than the new MBP if I take the refurb route....

2. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

note that the refurb has Matte and firewire 400

while the new one has that fancy trackpad (which im really liking)
    better look (tapered edges, etc...)

3. steamed.hams thread starter macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

All valid, good points.

4. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Also don't forget that the older one has a 6mb cache, whereas the other has a fast front side bus.

I'd be interested to see the benchmark difference. Although I think that the difference won't be large enough to justify $500. Plus - more aMh (Battery capacity) on the rev. E.

5. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

Refurb hands down. The gloss of the new ones will wear off soon when everyone realizes how horrible the design changes are. UNLESS you really want to have a user-replaceable harddrive, which admittedly is nice.

6. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Also remember the new ones have DDR3 memory, so you get a fatter pipe there, plus the memory now runs 1:1 with the CPU FSB, instead of the 800Mhz/667Mhz combo the old ones had

7. dougnewman macrumors 6502

Frankly for $500 more I can't imagine the new one being worth it unless you must have user-upgradeable HDD.

That is actually the one feature I was waiting for to begin with but the glossy display kills it for me. I have a MacBook now and I hate the glossy display. Add that to the new keyboard (which I expected but still don't like) and the user-upgradeable hard drive just doesn't outweigh the price difference and the two disadvantages. And the new one is slightly larger even though it's a bit thinner.

I have edu pricing so I'm buying a new old one at $300 less than a new new one (refurb comes to $400 less, no edu discount on refurbs). IMO the just-discontinued 15" MBP and current 17" MBP are to become classics... Though I'm not at all sorry to see the plastic MacBook nearing end-of-life (I haven't liked mine much).

8. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

could the glossy actually loose its glossyness?? i thought glass lasted a long time?

Hrm.. im still having the same delima as OP

ARG WHY APPLE.. WHY COULDNT U JUST MAKE MATTE.. that woulda changed this whole outcome

well people woulda still bitched about no fw400.. or not a good enough this or that... people on this forum will always bitch about something

9. makowb macrumors member

Um, faulty card anyone?

I was thinking, "wow, these are awesome deals, 33% off, 41% off." Then I thought about it. These all have the 8600 in them...which are KNOWN to be faulty. If you are only keeping yours for a couple years, might be a good deal...but I hope to have mine for awhile down the road. No thanks.

10. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

I'm just wondering in case anyone knows.

Can you load in 800 mhz ram into the Rev. E MBP?

Plus will 1:1 ratio really make that big of a difference on the machine?

I'm think if do 1:1 on the 2.5 ghz MBP w/ it's 6mb cache, it could eek out performance close to the current middle MBP.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Don't forget you have the Pro keyboard.

12. steamed.hams thread starter macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

Another good point. I don't play any games at all, and from the macrumor article:

"Apple states that the company will repair affected MacBook Pros within two years of the date of purchase free of charge, even if the MacBook Pro is out of warranty."