High-end RiMac gaming lifespan?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hchaugen, Oct 22, 2014.

1. hchaugen macrumors newbie

Hi guys!

I've been waiting for the new iMac for a while now (bought MBP 2 weeks before NeXT-gen came out, lesson learned) but I just want to be sure that I don't spend 4000 usd on a desktop that will be "outdated" in a few years.

I use my mbp mostly for casual stuff, while I have a gaming pc, but now I want to get rid of the PC and get a OS that works :eek:

How long do you think a high-end iMac will be able to play games on Ultra Performance? WoW/BF4 etc.

I'm a bit sad about the "4gig only" Graphics card ? :mad:

Thank you so much.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It was reported that the 5K iMac out performed the low end Mac Pro. I'd say it all depends on the GPU, but then its pushing a lot of pixels. I'd say it would probably be pretty decent.

3. Wardenski macrumors 6502

Forget 4K/5K long term gaming on a mobile chip. Spending $4000 on an iMac for the purpose of gaming is daft IMO.

Is there even a Mac version of Battlefield 4?

If not, you'll end up having to install Windows anyway or compromise performance using a wrapper etc.

Any computer you buy now will be outdated in a year. I still use a 2GB 5870 (the chip is 5 year old!) and I am still satisfied with its performance: more or less maxed out Skyrim, Crysis 1, Bioshocks etc

If your gaming PC is fairly recent and has a decent power supply couldn't you just whack a 970/980 in there?

4. hchaugen thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't mean gaming at 5k res, but the machine being "usable" for gaming (likely at 1440).

Sure 4000 is alot, but I'd rather get a high-end that I can use for 3-4 years, than a low-end that lasts 2 :eek:

TY for input.

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

This is an incredibly open-ended question since some of us keep playing the same games for many years, therefore the gaming lifespan will be very long.

6. macmee Suspended

macmee

My 2010 iMac can run LoL at max graphics at 2650 x 1440. I'd say that's pretty good.

But I'm no gamer by any definition of the word. I'm sure for casual gaming the new iMac will be decent.

If for the majority of your time you play computer games then I seriously discourage you from buying any sort of Mac really.

7. koyoot macrumors 601

koyoot

Every technology will be outdated in "few" years.

I dont think WoW or BF4 will change through years, and I dont think iMac will start be weaker to the point where it is not able to run those games.

For WoW, SC2, Most games from Steam, LoL it is right now enough. For games that will start appearing soon - it might be quite too small...

8. hyune83 macrumors member

I think the 295x should run decent at 1440p. Not sure about the 290x though.

9. omenatarhuri macrumors 6502a

I still play Master of Magic sometimes. It runs worse these days because you need DOS emulators and current screens are not that awesome with 640x480 resolution. :rolleyes:

10. JediFragger macrumors newbie

I'm ordering one with i7/295x and expect it to last me around 3/4 years at 1280x720 at full/decent detail :) (1440p should be ok for the less demanding titles)

:)

11. w00tini macrumors 6502a

absolutely... this should be the case given what we've seen so far from real-world gaming results on the RiMac.

12. JediFragger macrumors newbie

Yup, people are expecting too much imo. They have to remember that this is a mobile-class gpu (and only slightly faster than a desktop 285, which is turn is only slightly faster than a nVidia 760!!)

13. firsmith macrumors member

getting close to 6years on my current Imac - I would anticipate getting at least a half decade of the new Retina that is coming

14. akm3 macrumors 68020

Torin the chosen is OP