"High End" Screen Protector Post Your review here.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by 10-Dee-Q, Jan 30, 2011.

1. 10-Dee-Q macrumors 6502

Bandung, West Java, Indonesia & Singapore
    Ok, there's so many thread already discussing this, but all of those are seperated thread making us who want to buy their product kind of difficult to compare.
    so i make this thread hoping aanyone who has a good Screen protector to post their own review here.
    Prefferably those "higher end" model such as SGP, Power Support, Martin Fields, etc.

I my self has uses Martin Fields Screen Protector since a long time ago.
    since the days where PDA's uses stylus to tap on the screen because the martin fields protector is so clear, and bright, and also makes the stylus "glide" easier and smoother on the screen.

actually i already ordered 1 from
    http://www.martinfields.com/US/MFOP-iPhone4

its still on the way so i can't give any comment yet
    but from what i see it covers the front camera and also it have a screen protector to cover the rear camera as well,
    its good cause it will protect the camera lense but i dont know wheter it will kill the picture quality taken by the camera or not.

currently i uses SGP Crystal Clear.
    for me its just OK
    cause it's not super clear , my martin fields on other gadgets that i have definatelly looks clearer, giving you the impressions that no screen protector applied on them.
    the SGP crystal clear on my iphone is not as clear, i can definately "see" that there is a screen protector installed, if you know what i mean.

so others, please post ur review here, thank you, ill update once i had my martin Fields overlay installed on my iPhone.

2. 10-Dee-Q thread starter macrumors 6502

oh, one more thing,
    i use Power Support Anti Glare on my iPhone 2G and while i like the "anti Fingerprint" effect, but it kind of reduces the brightness and the clarity on the screen, and for iPhone 4's retina display, i'm thinkin that it would destroy the purpose of having a retina display, but the PS anti glare that i have is the older model, without the HD, im curious what will the HD version has to make it a better product.

and i have Martin Fields Overlay on my iPhone 3G, it was clear as nothin, one of the clearest screen protector i ever used, in fact i uses martin fields for all my other gadgets, eg: digital camera, ipod, car navigation, etc
    but the bad thing about them is that it catch grease from ur finger very easilly and also its quite easy to scratch them. i guess nothing is perfect huh ?
    :p

3. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

As I've said numerous times, we cannot make a mega thread for reviews, it will get too stacked up and confusing.

4. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

Do you know any protector that has body parts (the aluminum border), except SGP, Zagg and Wrapsol? (That still fits with the apple bumper)
    for iphone 4.

I am about to buy the SGP EX Ultra Crystal. This one you've used?

5. 10-Dee-Q thread starter macrumors 6502

@austin,
    ow okay, but will it be better if theres a thread that discuss about all the screen protector only without any other accecories ?

@wowozera
    yes i currently i use the SGP crystal clear i would say the product is okay,
    not outstanding good, but not bad either, but i've seen better one i guess.

6. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Maybe, but not reviews, I still think people need to make separate threads for their own reviews.

7. gregrose macrumors 6502

Power Support - Anti Glare HD ip4

AMAZING. Seriously, I dont understand how anyone would not want this protector. It makes your phone look even sleeker, no fingerprints. Barely notice a different with your HD screen, and anyways who cares if its slightly different, the protector is absolutely perfect.

8. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

On a scale of 1-10, how much does it take away from the Retina Display?

9. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I'm using the Power Support Anti-Glare on my iPhone 4.

I don't find it ruins the quality of the display. Nothing's as good as naked, but it's completely usable and still looks great.

Also had the 3GS version in the past. Great product.

10. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

On a scale of 1-10, how much does it take away from the Retina Display?

11. 10-Dee-Q thread starter macrumors 6502

thats my point
    on my 3G iphone using martin fields overlay,
    its as good as naked.
    thats why i cant wat for mine to arrive to put it on my iphone 4

12. troy14 macrumors 6502a

I wish I could go view my eBay history. I bought iPhone 4 screen/back protectors like a 5pack for honestly $2.00.

It's too old now to view the seller/etc/info.. but they are just as good if not better then any of the name brand protectors I have used. It feels like there is absolutely nothing on the screen - and I have told people that used my phone there is a screen protector and they literally DID NOT believe me.

13. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Okay. :)

14. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

clearly you disagree with troy14. However I too bought some cheapo screen protectors (£2 for 2 iPad ones) from eBay - applied them perfectly - and they are literally invisible when in use. I can only notice them when viewed at an angle of about 60-70 degs when I can see slight multicoloured reflections from certain parts (like you might get from a puddle of water with petrol floating on it!). I can't compare this with what you call "high end" protectors, because I have never forked over the cash for them (nor has anyone I know). The cheapo one was a pain to fit though - probably took me about half an hour to do it flawlessly on my iPad. Perhaps that is the difference.

15. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Great reply!

I posted it without a brand / seller because in my experience, mostly all chinese/hong kong items come from a few of the same vendors, just different resellers. (THIS IS MY EXPERIENCE!!!!)

I also posted it because maybe someone on the fence of the eBay protectors would be more inclined to try it (it is only a few dollars, but whatever) and be satisfied with the results.

I do not notice any discoloration (trust me I would notice) or rainbow effect on my iPhone 4 with these eBay screen protectors.

I would've much preferred you call me a ****ing idiot & cheapass then post such a useless post.

16. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

No, it's all good, haha, just having some fun. Anyway back to the point. I have tried and used many eBay screen protectors throughout my iLife, but I have noticed that almost all of them have rainbow effects or they scratch very heavily, this is just my experience, so maybe I pick up bad luck more than other people?

17. jasvncnt macrumors 6502

I have used Martin Fields in the past and loved them. Have been using Zagg for sometime now because i prefer the "rubbery" feel it has. Also, just received my Clear Coat but didn't install yet.

18. weisjt macrumors 6502a

weisjt

power support and wrapsol have always done good for me i have tried many and they always work well

19. ctbear macrumors 6502a

PS anti glare hd is definitely one of the best (if not THE best) matte film. Very slick surface, barely any fingerprint (but still noticeable). However like others have said, it kind of defeats the purpose of retina display.

On a scale of 1-10, 10 being naked retina screen clarity, I give the PS anti glare hd an 8.5 and SGP ultra clear a 9.5.

I've also used a couple of ebay cheapos on my other devices before. They are definitely very close to expensive brands in terms of clarity. However with the expensive brands you would not see the rainbow effects and they don't scratch as easily. So unless you switch out screen protectors frequently I would recommend spending a little more on expensive brands.

20. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

Have to agree. I've tried all the major players and come back to PS every time. None of the others install anywhere near as well or last as long.

As for the anti-glare. The very minor damping of clarity is more than made up for by the anti-fingerprint for me.

21. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

This. I used some cheap protectors of eBay and don't regret it at all. You can't even tell there's one on my phone. While it may not be for most people, I don't see the need on dishing out $20-$30 bucks for a screen protector when a far less expensive brand will accomplish the same thing. ALL HAIL EbAY

22. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

I don't know why, but in my opinion, eBay screen shields aren't that high of quality. Yes, SGP screen shields and other brands are priced a little high but they feel like higher quality in my opinion.

23. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

+1 to this statement

I tried the sgp crystal and it scratched way to easily. The PS anti glare doesnt really effect the retina at all. Turn your brightness up on the device and it looks stellar. I'd rather have no fingerprints and smoother scrolling over a greasy phone any day of the week.

24. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I'll agree that some sellers are hit or miss with their products. I got a bunch of crappy ones when I had my 3G but I also get some really nice ones for my iPhone 4. Overall though, I've gotten some pretty good protectors so I can't complain. While they may not be as fancy as the SGP oleophobic (did I spell that right?) ones, they do the job for me and I can use the money I saved on the protectors and put that to buying more cases instead :p

25. weisjt macrumors 6502a

weisjt

i buy power support and its easy to apply, if you get dust you lift it with a piece of tape then hit the dust with another piece of tape and your done, its not hard and i feel that power support lasts much longer than normal cheap shields. i also use cheaper ones because i review a lot of products and i like to test out the ones they send with products.