High frequency noise from the RMBP SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fuzzi, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Fuzzi, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012

Fuzzi macrumors member

Hi,

I got the 2,6/512/16 rmbp and I really like it, but there is one thing that's quite annoying. There is a high pitch sound, which seems to come from the SSD or s.th. else, but it's not from the fans. It's really not very loud, but it's a pain in my ears :), especially because it's not a constant sound but it's going on and off

So my question: is this normal for the RMBP or don't you experience this noise? I can only hear it if it's really silent around me though.

//Edit: My rMBP is also connected to a Thunderbolt Display, and it seems like the noise almost goes away if I disconnect the display... So probably not the SSD but thunderbolt?

2. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

LOL I started "hearing" it after reading this thread. Crazy placebo effect bro

3. Fuzzi thread starter macrumors member

4. katmeef macrumors 6502

I used to hear this on my 09 MBP after I installed a SSD, the sound was most apparent during disk intensive operations. Not sure if the SSD caused the noise or if it was always there from the SATA controller maybe but inaudible due to the previous HDD spinning. Prior to the 09 MBP I had a Toshiba P30 and I'd hear the same type of high pitched noise when transferring data over firewire with that machine.

But I've not heard it on the rMBP at all (yet)

5. TickleMeElmo macrumors regular

Some people are just more sensitive to high frequency sounds than others. I sometimes can hear high pitched sounds coming from electrical devices that other some other people cannot.

6. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

if you listen for them - they will sound

...if you listen for them, they will sound...............