High MPG Auto

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Gentile, May 9, 2007.

1. Gentile macrumors regular

Gentile

I have been doing a little preliminary research on a less expensive high mpg car. I want something that is more environmental friendly but can still take the family around.

I would like a 4 door and automatic. I have seen the Toyota Yaris and Honda Fit as two possibilities. Any suggestions?

2. iowamensan macrumors 6502

My wife's car is a Toyota Corolla, it's rated for 38. More room for not many more $$$.

3. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

my husband and i have a Fit, and while it's a great car, it's probably not the best choice if you have two kids or more. i mean, we get anywhere from 36-40 MPG with a mix of highway and city driving, and we're usually hauling back mulch or home improvement stuff from lowe's... :p ...but i can see the backseat getting cramped quickly if it's filled with children. :D

a honda civic or a toyota corolla would be a better family choice, IMO. like iowamensan said, it's a little more $$$...but a bit more room as well.

4. Gentile thread starter macrumors regular

Gentile

I have also considered the Corolla and it may be a good choice, especially if I am looking for a used car.

I would be using it to drive to work by myself and at night with the wife and child. Although right now we don't drive too much. However, with my first child on the way I am beginning to see how kids bring lots of extra stuff with them.:eek:

Anyone out there have the Toyota Yaris?

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I'm thinking along the same lines, I'd consider trading in my 30 mpg car for a 40 mpg car since most of my use is commute. Not ready for a hybrid, just a more efficient gas vehicle.

One note is that the Honda Civic is actually higher mpg and lower emissions than the Fit.

B