High page outs after ram upgrade and Mtn lion upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Squiggles13, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Squiggles13 macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I have a MBP 2008, I am a web designer who runs photoshop and Dreamweaver everyday all day. Well I had 4gb ram and it was being slow, so a buddy advised that I upgrade the ram, so I went from 4gb to 6gb. Then he says with the upgraded ram I should upgrade the OS to, So i went from 10.7 to 10.8

Well now it seems that I can work real good for about 6 hrs, then after that my MBP gets real sluggish, when I check the page outs they are like 2.86gb, For example right now it reads.

Page ins - 3.64gb
    Page outs - 1.27gb
    Swap used - 3.00gb

Is there anything that I can do to get this fixed? When I was running 10.7 I never had any kind of issue now it seems that I have to restart my computer once a day.

Here are my machines specs.
    Processor - 2.GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory - 6GB 667 Mhz

Any help would be appreciated because this is driving me batty.

2. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

I hope you get a good answer. I asked this before and I have seen a couple of other people ask to no avail.

The general answers I have seen before go something like this:
    "OSXs memory management is good but some programs requiring a lot of RAM can cause page ins and page outs."

Apples memory management is not good as it uses swap file space and then pages out from it way before all the RAM is used.

Apple don't seem to be in a hurry to fix this as it has been there for 6 years (since I started using Macs).

So until Apple fix this an SSD is your only option as at least it will speed up your page in and page out operations about 10 - 20x. I tried this and the HDD could page out (i.e random read) at around 0.5 - 1.5MB/s and the SSD went from 20MB/s to 75MB/s (crucial M4). The new Samsung 840 Pro has mind boggling random read numbers and should really help here.