High Performance HD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by curiosa863, Sep 15, 2007.

1. curiosa863 macrumors member

I'm building a new DAW setup. DAW is the term for computer used to make music. For those of you unfamiliar, here are a few key points of what a DAW handles.

1 - run large, multitrack, multi DX plugin Reaper projects. reaper is very CPU effective but DX plugins are not.

2 - run heavy instances of Reason with a bunch of combinators.

3 - run VSTi's on occasion but probably not in conjunction with 1 and 2.

that's basically it, the major three.

a DAW typically has the following: 1 drive for bootdisk/programs/os/drivers/system blah blah blah, and then another drive (or several other drives as it may be) housing samples, recordings, project folders, etc etc etc.

Should my boot/programs/etc. be a 10k drive? Or will a 7200 be just fine? Could you point me towards some high performers? I'd like to get high performing drives for both my boot and slave drive.

Thank You!

2. curiosa863 thread starter macrumors member

Basically, I just need some some high performance hard drives that can handle some serious audio creation/editing.

3. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

With the exception of P.I.T.A. SCSI, SATA II/10K Raptors are the fastest drives available AFAIK, assuming you have a system that can fully utilize their capabilities......

However, the biggest one I know of is only 150GB, which is more than enough for a boot &/or a back-up drive, but would get filled up quickly with multi-track, mega-effects music recordings. Therefore you may wanna consider some of the newest 500GB-1TB drives for storage & scratch disks.

4. curiosa863 thread starter macrumors member

I thought that raptors had poor performance, as they haven't been updated in several years.

I will definetely have a dual disk setup, probably a 750 unless the 1T capacity drives come down in price.

5. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

You must realize that the larger the capacity, generally no matter what the RPM, will be faster. You see, it's like driving in a car and you have to stop in 20 cities, not specific ones. If the cities are more densely packed, you will be able to get to all of them faster than if you were driving the same speed and they are farther apart, and really, some even faster would still be slower. 1 Tb 7200 will own any 150 Gb 10000 because of this reason. My little method is to multiply capacity be RPM and whichever has the highest number is a faster drive, period.

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

System drive = 1 7200 RPM SATA 2 HDD.

Project / Random drive = 2 (or more) 7200 SATA 2 drives in a RAID 0 array.

7. curiosa863 thread starter macrumors member

I thought I had heard that about system higher capacity winning out over RPM.
    Do they make 5.5" 1Tb yet?
    As far as pricing, how much would i spend on an SATA interface for the system itself, and also RAID 0 SATA enclosure?