High pitch sound (when connected to power) from MBP 2013 (late)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dMgfOrrEal, Jul 24, 2014.

1. dMgfOrrEal macrumors member

I can listen some high pitch sound from the MBP body (frequency sound... like something electrical) in certain occasions such as when downloading something from App Store or reinstalling the OS.

I'm not sure if it's from the heavy SSD use or something else.

What I found weird is that the sound gets much louder when power AC is connected.

Does anyone have any input for this problem....? Or is it normal? :p

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I had a Powerbook that did that, it was related some sort of interference coming across the speakers. Its not normal, so I'd recommend bringing it into apple and have them take a look.

3. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

Are you using an official apple power brick?

My official power adapter doesn't have any issues but a nockoff replacement power adapter does the same for me. :rolleyes:

4. dMgfOrrEal thread starter macrumors member

Yes it is an official one and there is no sound coming out of the power adaptor.

----------

Dang! Another return then. TY!

5. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

What I'm saying is the power adapter is causing the hissing noise through the speakers and headphones. My knockoff power adapter causes my Shure SE846 IEMs hiss horribly. The official one doesn't do it at all. Check a different power adapter to see if it fixes the issue.

6. dMgfOrrEal thread starter macrumors member

If the sound still exists w/o the power adaptor it means the machine itself is faulty, right?

What's interesting is that the sound is much more louder when power cord is connected :eek: ....weird.

I may have to file another return....sigh....