HIGH pitch whine ONLY on Bootcamp XP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by liquidsense, Mar 21, 2008.

1. liquidsense macrumors member

I've done a cursory search, but could not find anything on the topic. And I'm freaking out a bit, so I needed to ask.

Is my MBP worthy of a return/exchange based on a loud, very high-pitch whine when I'm using Bootcamp with XP? I just noticed it for the first time today.

In all other regards, my 15" MBP was absolutely perfect. Notwithstanding Apple's good track record (relatively speaking), I still felt lucky because this is one of few high-priced electronics that I had purchased without a single problem.

Except now the whine. Whenever I boot up XP using Bootcamp, the whine starts -- and it is unbearable. It sounds when the processor is idle. And it sounds when I'm running multiple videos and moving a window all about. It whines when the background is full black or white. The whine disappears at the highest brightness and the lowest, but in the middle, it is the loudest. The sound seems to be emanating at the bottom of the screen and the upper portion of the keyboard -- at the hinge.

I searched on Google, and I was linked to an apple.com website that stated very succinctly, "If your MacBook Pro (15-inch) emits a high-pitched buzzing sound, please contact AppleCare for service." But the high-pitched sound does not sound AT ALL when on OSX. What in the world could be causing this? I have no idea personally, with what little knowledge I have about Macs, let alone computers in general.

Also, I don't think I could characterize this as a "high-pitched buzzing." It's really not a buzzing at all. It is a very high-pitch whine, as if it was coming from some electronic source, rather than mechanical. I have no idea. Please help.

*EDIT* - I found this thread, and it seems to be near spot on, in that the noise only occurs when using XP in Bootcamp. Everyone also reports that it is loudest in the middle brightness. And completely gone on the highest and lowest. I just don't understand how that could possibly be.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1439234&tstart=0

Can anyone confirm or deny this issue on their machine, assuming you have XP on bootcamp?

2. cmm26red macrumors regular

3. j633295 macrumors newbie

I also have the same issue on my less than a week ago MBP. I suspected its to do with the drivers on Boot Camp since it works perfectly on OSX.

4. j633295 macrumors newbie

This seems to be solution for it as it works on my MBP:

1) Download the driver from Apple support.
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306891

2) Un-install the driver that came with install disc
    3) Restart
    4) Install the new driver and restart XP
    5) The noise should be gone now!

:)

5. cmm26red macrumors regular

I am running Vista, but I think this is the same issue. I followed these exact steps and I still have the issue.

6. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I remember when I was running Vista in bootcamp on my macbook, I heard a slight whine when I put my ear to the keyboard. Switched back to XP and it was fine.

7. liquidsense thread starter macrumors member

I'm going to give this a whirl when I get back home tonight. I'll report back.

8. liquidsense thread starter macrumors member

Installing the driver referenced above did the trick!! Thank you so much for pointing this out.

So what exactly did this do? Is this an older driver? Because when I installed the driver (after uninstalling the previous), it still said that this driver was older than the one currently installed.

9. Merk7 macrumors newbie

This worked for me too. Thank you lots. Just got my MBP 2 days ago and thought all hope was lost only for you guys to redeem it.

10. inconnul macrumors newbie

... quick question: did you uninstall the driver NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT under Display adapters ? i dont want to mess this one ! ;o)

thank you!

11. rafammbass macrumors newbie

I know it's been a long time ago, but this is really true and really works!

I was almost dropping this thing 15 floors down. LOL

got a MBP 15"/2.6GHz/2gb/512vram/250HD

Thanks a LOT!

12. matt9b macrumors member

doesn't work here. got a mac pro brand new 8 core. the setup just gives error "could not locate any drivers compatible with your hardware."

apple really shouldn't release machines with this bug. i'll be calling apple support in the morning.

13. brikro macrumors member

14. cOOldOOd macrumors newbie