High pitched hissing noise on uMB?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mathlete123, Jul 1, 2009.

1. mathlete123 macrumors member

Today I just noticed that when everything else is silent, my macbook produces a -barely- noticeable whine. Is this just my fan? It is actually getting quite annoying as i can hear it when not typing. It sounds almost like it is far away, but when i put my ear next to my MB i can hear it very distinctly,

2. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Could it be a CPU whine? Does the sound only occur when the power adapter is plugged in?

3. MedHead macrumors regular

My guess is fan or HDD spin, check fan speed with iStat mine are at 2000rpm and I cant hear a thing.

4. mathlete123 thread starter macrumors member

The noise also occurs when the macbook is unplugged; it is possible that it is the CPU. from about 4-6 inches away from the keyboard, it sound vaguely like SoundGrenade (iphone app) on a low volume.

and my fan is about 2000rpm. i do not think this is the fan (there is a seperate, very faint sound that is almost certainly from the fans and it gets louder as the fans increase). I am only noticing this now because I am in and almost entirely silent environment. Chances are with any background noise this will never bother me. I just would like to make sure this isn't a problem.

5. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Oh, so it isn't a CPU whine then. Did you ever edit Audio settings through the "Audio MIDI Setup" application? If so, the speakers could be utilizing a nonstandard frequency for output.

6. mathlete123 thread starter macrumors member

No, i have never edited audio at all, actually, except for the f11 and 12 buttons.

7. MedHead macrumors regular

Check this out, seems that its a common enough problem on the unibodies! That said I cant hear mine and Im in a quit room.

8. ankushpatel macrumors regular

its hard to hear

depending on what age you are you can hear the noise. I find that its like the old sdtv noise the tv makes when you leave it on the small hiss.... my parents always leave the tv on because they cant hear the noise it makes to realize its on. i think its the same case with this.

i can hear it perfectly and it gets realllllyyyyyyy annoying after a bit. After paying 2000 for a new macbook pro you dont expect this.

im taking it to a genius bar tommorow to see what a mac genius says about it. my sisters macbook pro 13" doesnt make the noise. im finding from asking friends that some do and some dont?

9. mathlete123 thread starter macrumors member

Intersting.... that may be the case for me. Sort of like a dog whistle, but a teen whistle instead, emanating from the MB?:D

10. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

11. rd261 macrumors regular

Good luck at the genius bar. I took my blackbook a couple of months ago because of another problem, and I just asked them to check the noise just to make sure everything was in order. The "genius" told me that he couldn't hear anything, and I asked him if he could take it to a silent place; he did and came back saying he still couldn't hear anything. Another genius came to check it and he couldn't hear anything either. He asked me if I wanted to leave it at the store overnight so they could run some tests and I just said no because they probably would have told me that everything was in order.

At the end I decided to live with it since it seems to be quite common even in pc. Also, the whine is only audible if I put my ear very close to it. I asked my father if he could hear it and he said no and looked at me a "are u ok?" kind of face. :eek: Im guessing the geniuses thought I must be going bananas as well :rolleyes:

12. Sareth macrumors member

I have the same thing and took it into the Genius Bar, when he took it into the back to have a listen the last thing I saw as the door swung shut was the "Genius" holding my MacBook up by the screen while he stuck his ear to it, I was gripped by fear.

13. ankushpatel macrumors regular

genius

so i wanted to update you on the topic.
    I took my macbook pro 1 week old in that was making the noise, the genius took it to the back and he came out after 5-10 min, and told me that he could hear it. so i told him its one week old and this is not acceptable.
    so he told me to keep an eye on the noise to see if it does anything to the performance of the machine. At this point i was furious because the nearest apple store is 2 hours away from me, and for him to just tell me oh keep an eye on it! after waiting at the genius bar to be seen for 1 our.
    So anyway, I told him I was not happy, and that a 2,000 machine which is new should not be making the sound.
    He looked up the serial and found it was a custom laptop, and he told me to call apple 1-800-my apple for a replacement, after alot of calls, and being transfered from department to department finally a replacement is on the way.
    Hopefully this sound is gone on the new one.

14. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Do you get it with the brightness set to its default of blinding & full brightness?

15. ankushpatel macrumors regular

everything

i got it at full, half, quarter, the brightness makes no difference to the sound on mine.