High pitched noise from Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tavistock, Jul 15, 2015.

1. tavistock macrumors newbie

Hey guys. As the title says, I am having an issue with a high pitched noise that has just started coming from my Macbook over the last couple days.

I made a quick recording of the sound as it appears upon startup:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5514239/macbook sound.mp3

and then it continues at the rate the recording ends with.

I had a bit of a look around for some solutions, and changing the brightness does nothing.

It is an early 2011 model.

Any help is appreciated!
    Ben

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I'd say that sounds like the Hard drive dying, it could be a fan issue but the HDD seems more likely by sound alone.

If you have to replace it consider an SSD instead it'll transform you computer...

3. tavistock thread starter macrumors newbie

That is unfortunate, but I appreciate the help! I will take it into an Apple store when I can and try and get an SSD sorted.

4. chabig macrumors 68040

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Apple won't do that replacement and they'll charge you a fortune for a rubbish old standard drive. if you can use a screwdriver you can order the part from amazon for under $200 for 512GB and under $100 for a 256Gb SSD, and change it yourself in 10 minutes.

6. tavistock thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for letting me know, Samuelsan. I will do that then. :) And thanks chabig too, I'll look into it anwyay, ask a couple informed friends, but by this point replacing the HD is probably still a good idea.

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You will need a specific screwdriver apple love their special screws...

iFixit guide tells you all you need to know, you can take a look at the fans when you open it up and at the least clean them out a bit.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Early+2011+Hard+Drive+Replacement/5119

8. tavistock thread starter macrumors newbie