High pitched noise/whine in BootCamp-Windows

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mumpitz, Nov 10, 2008.

1. mumpitz macrumors newbie

Hej
    When I am running Windows on my new AluMB, I hear a very annoying high pitched noise coming from it. It has something to do with the brightness of the display since the noise is reduced the closer I get to 0% or 100% brightness.

Does anybody noticed it too?

2. tongteh macrumors 6502

I have the same problem too. I thought it must be something to do with the windows OS.

3. mumpitz thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess so since I don't here anything when running OS X. However, it would be nice to hear from other people who don't here some annoying sound under BootCamp-Windows XP. Since I think about returning/replacing my MB because of that. But if its "normal" then I don't need to.

4. darienphoenix macrumors member

Same problem here as well.

The noise gives me a splitting headache pretty damn quick, so I've resported to using full brightness at all times.

Bit of a PITA. Hopefully there's a software/firmware update for it, though I haven't found anything at Apple support.

5. mumpitz thread starter macrumors newbie

I talked with the swedish apple support and they said, that they are aware of the issue and that they are working on an update of the video driver.

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Yep, I get this high-pitched whirring sound too. Some searching on google finds it's a problem in the older macbook and macbook pros too. So who knows when a "fix" is going to come out.. Until then, Windows at full brightness! Better to see all the flaws ;)

7. danielsoftco macrumors newbie

Hello for alls!

I am an user of the macbook pro 17 (early2008), the model with the 8600 GT 512. I have the same problem.

The think of the question is that: The LED Screens don´t have inverter, the brightness is regulated by the power that the logic board provides to the screen. The think is that Leopard manage the brightness using other system than windows. That`s because in windows we have a noise that if we are in front of the macbook pro, in the right ear we listen a buzz low noise that in 50% of brightness is the most perceptible.

In Leopard is a sound that we not listen because is not "high noise".

This problem is in all macbooks screen, LCD incluyed but in that remplacing the inverter the sounds descends. But in that screens....

The most volume in that type of sound is in the LED Screens that are 17" and hi-res, because are bigger and have more leds, so, more leds, more noise.

We are waiting for an apple update of EFI that resolves this problem, but apple not response for this noise because they say that is only perceptible in windows.

That is the question. Is the same thing that the multitouch driver. Goes very bad, and produces BSOD in windows, blue screens, and only if we delete the applemtm.sys (the driver of the multitouch mouse) we can work finely. And why they don´t repair the driver? for the same question that the screen. They wish that windows works very very worse than mac Os (and that is true but...) and they wish we can´t use the multitouch capabilities in windows and the power management in windows...

I have gone to an apple centre, and all macbooks pro with this screen has the same problem, and the oldest models has the noise (but is slower)

I am spanish and i dont learn english very good, but i wait serve of help.

8. paetrick macrumors regular

My DELL XPS 1530 screen also did a whine noise when not having 100% brightness on. :O It has to do wth windows?

9. danielsoftco macrumors newbie

And we have paid 2700 € for that problems?

In mac os, already have the sound!!! but is in another frequency... All boys and girls, put the ear below the screen in MAc OS X and change the brightness between 0 and 100 % of brightness. You can listen an "electrical" noise that changes with the brightness, but is more difficult to hear.

Windows is worse because the sound is an "high piched noise"

The problem is in all macbooks pro 17 that i have tested. In 15 " is less the noise, very low, and in 17" glossy is lower than matte... why? i don´t know it!

Anybody have this problem?

10. br1 macrumors newbie

I just purchased a macbook pro 17 and have this exact same problem... when I lower the brightness to anything besides 100% or 0% in windows XP SP3 it starts to make the whinining noise... it doesnt occur in osx (that i've noticed yet)..... to me this seems like a driver issue ...

EDIT: I called apple support.. they said its possibly an issue with XP Service Pack 3 and maybe i should revert to using SP2 to see if that would work ... he also mentioned getting the bootcamp update, but i'm already running Bootcamp 2.1...

Anyone using vista or xp sp2 have this same issue... or know how to fix this?

thanks in advance

11. komarad macrumors newbie

Did anyone solve the problem?

I have MacBook Pro and am running Windows using BootCamp.
    The noise seem started appearing after I uploaded new drivers for NVidia 8600M GT (6.14.11.7928 ) just as described - when the brightness is between 30% and 80%. I did not upgrade to SP3 and still running SP2 (so what apple support advised for the previous post is, as usual, bull...)

12. br1 macrumors newbie

I did not solve the problem... I ended up returning the 17inch and getting the Older 15inch version... it does the same thing but it much less noticable... and the screen actually is okay at full brightness... Instead of adjusting the brightness using that... try turning the brightness to 100% then adjusting it in the nvidia control panel .. this is what i'm doing now and it works pretty well

13. komarad macrumors newbie

Rolled back to 111.34
    I think I can still hear the noise in Windows, but it is considerably quieter, like few times quiter... Still, sad about not being able to run the newest driver...

14. brikro macrumors member

any solutioin for this problem?? i cant install windows becouse this noise is very annoying . please..

15. Jaredistheman macrumors member

VMware fusion thank you! =) Works like a charm for me.

16. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Is this only with the MBP? Because the original poster said MB. I run XP on my aluminum MB and don't hear any noise. Has anyone tried returning it to Apple?

Edit: Just checked, I am running 6.14.11.7644

17. brikro macrumors member

no, in macbook alu do a noise , in all nvidia,
    you tried put the brightness at 50%? in bootcamp and dont do any noise??ss

18. brikro macrumors member

well i found a solution for this
    if you uninstall the orginals drivers, the noise disappear in 50% or 100% or 0% the noise DISAPPEAR if you put other drivers for example 179 the regulate brightness disappear
    what drivers can i use?? 167.44 have the noise..

19. brikro macrumors member

where i can download a old driver? before 167.44

20. komarad macrumors newbie

google it

21. brikro macrumors member

22. brikro macrumors member