high pitched noise.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LeftoverCrack, Feb 3, 2008.

1. LeftoverCrack macrumors member

over the past few weeks i have heard a high pitched whine in my house and i couldn't seem to find the source. Today i leaned down to pick up something off the ground and my ear was level with my macbook and i heard it! coming from the top left corner of my keyboard there was a very high pitched whine. not fan noise, a deafening ring.
    anytime i type a key or move the mouse it goes away, then the second i stop mousing or typing it starts again...
    i've tried restarting. googling around and i didn't find anything?
    should i call applecare about this? or is this a common problem that is non-fixable?

2. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

3. LeftoverCrack thread starter macrumors member

4. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Hmm ok. I was always under the impression this was only a Core Duo thing.

But as far as I know the noise is because of the Intel CPU trying to save power. I could be wrong. If it's really really loud and it's seriously buggin you then maybe drop Applecare a call see what they say.

5. LeftoverCrack thread starter macrumors member

it is quite loud, and why does it go away when i type or mouse?

6. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

I think it's because when you type or move the mouse it starts to use a little more cpu and turns of a certain amount of the powersaving which causes that whine.
    I know when I connect my bluetooth mighty mouse the whine goes away. But mine is not very loud thankfully.