High Pitched Sound from MagSafe Connector

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Casey01, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Casey01 macrumors member

So far form googling this problem I haven't found the answers I was looking for.

The problem is that when my MacBook Pro is on and running, and it's plugged in, there is a high pitched crackling, hissing-ish sound coming from the MagSave port/connector area. When I unplug it the sound goes away. Here are my questions.

What would be causing it?
    Should I take it with a grain a salt?

One forum sad that it was a problem with the I/O Board. Others said it was a faulty MagSafe connector that did this, and some said it was normal.

2. randomrazr macrumors 65816

take it tothe genius bar

3. Spencer Reynen macrumors member

It's probably the MagSafe connector, some people have problems with them, and often need to get them replaced.

4. Casey01 thread starter macrumors member

I would love to take it to the an Apple store. But the closest one is about 100 miles away (Around 2 hours).

Is it a problem that if I let persist will get worse?

(I do plan on going to that city sometime within the next 3-4 months.

5. miker2209 macrumors regular

miker2209

I think it's probably worth the trip, try to find another charger and see if it still makes the sound. If it still do then it might be the Magsafe on the laptop and thats bad because it will eventually effect the lifespan of your battery.
    If it doesn't then its definitely the charger, in which case you could either take it to the apple store and see if they will replace a new one for you, if not you can order another one only.
    Doesn't matter what u choose to do you should do something about it soon, usually electrical wires that makes those hissing sound isn't good.