High pitched whine on recorded video

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by petemwah, Jun 20, 2009.

1. petemwah macrumors regular

Is anyone else experiencing a high pitched whine on their recorded video? It seems that every time I record I can hear this whine and it's also audible on playback. Would be good to sort it out!

it isn't just around my computer that it makes that noise, seems to always do it when recording video...

would be interested to hear feedback from you guys regarding this... x

2. K3mp macrumors 6502

3. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

It's probably just the sound of the MacRumors forums in the background.

4. arunmey macrumors newbie

Make sure your hnad is not over the mike of the phone. When you move your hand near the bottom of the phone, the mike records those high pitch sounds.

5. petemwah thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for your advice, it hasn't changed the whine though... i've updated the original thread with a link to a video demonstrating the problem. the link is here

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Didn't get this initially, but did just now. Seems it might have been picking up a high end whine my PC desktop makes that i must have gotten attenuated to.

7. petemwah thread starter macrumors regular

this is what i thought, but even taking videos outside of an electrical environment causes it to whine... :confused:

8. lovetheduns macrumors regular

So I had a similar thread to this, but I have found that if I am eerily silent when recording video then it makes the noise-- if there is background noises happening then it does not make the whine.

Hope that helps

9. petemwah thread starter macrumors regular

thanks! i'll try being a bit more noisy in future! :)

10. tyler.mark macrumors newbie

Putting your iphone into silent mode will fix the problem. Try it. It did for me. I found the fix on a website. For whatever reason when its on ring it makes an annoying sound, then put it on silent and it won't make the noise. Tell me if this helps.

11. kenbrinkman macrumors regular

kenbrinkman

I'm pretty sure I know what's going on here. For some reason during a recording and when the phone isn't on silent, the speaker makes an the "whine" sound which is then picked up by the mic and put into your video. During a recording try adjusting the volume all the way up and all the way down, you'll without a doubt hear that in your recording.

12. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

I loled.

13. PMason macrumors newbie

I discovered that my phone (Black 16GB) does indeed make the high pitch noise while recording video and voice memos, and you can definitely hear it throughout the playback.

14. Konz macrumors regular

I didn't watch the video, but do you have a wife or girlfriend?

If not... I can't figure this one out =/

15. firewood macrumors 604

This could be electrical noise from the power circuit leaking into the audio output wires. Or it could be an actual component (inductor or capacitor) vibrating around. This would happen if video drains the battery much faster than ordinary, and the DC-to-DC voltage regulator oscillates in the audible range at that higher power drain.

16. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

17. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

18. critic81 macrumors regular

I just called Apple about this problem. The guy i talked to wasn't aware of the problem and he checked on the iphone 3GS that he has there and it doesn't do any whine. So either he couldn't hear it or its a problem. Either way they said i could get a replacement phone. I'm heading off to the apple store now!

19. JohnFa macrumors regular

Spit out some coffee on my desk at work. NSFW joke!