High pitched whining sound

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 6869, Mar 3, 2015.

1. 6869 macrumors newbie

I have a 2009 iMac and there's a high pitched whining sound that gets louder but never completely goes away when I turn up the brightness

2. UserName macrumors member

I'm no expert, but I think the LCD inverter could be damaged or on its way out...

3. jm5309 macrumors regular

I've had my late 2009 iMac for five years now, and it's done that since day one. I just learned to live with it.

4. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I had the Late 2009 iMac and it never did any such thing. If it did, particularly on day one (or in fact on any other day within the period of Applecare coverage), it would have gone straight back to Apple for service.

I concur with the opinion above on the probability of a bad backlight inverter.

5. jm5309 macrumors regular

It's not a huge deal, really. My husband can't even hear it. I do notice it (and after all these years, just barely), but I really didn't want the hassle of sending it off for repairs or an exchange. I don't live near an Apple store, by the way, and the closest authorized Apple repair center is 1.5 hours away. It's been a fantastic computer. The longest I've ever kept one, in fact. :)

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I'm about 2 hours from the closest Apple Store. :(

Here in Japan Apple sends a courier to pick up, ship and return all insured Macs on their dime. I wonder why they don't offer the same elsewhere for those not conveniently located to Apple Stores.

If it didn't bother you then that's understandable although such things could be a harbinger of bigger problems to come. I'm glad it wasn't in your case. :)