High Quality 22" Monitors

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Demigod Mac, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Demigod Mac macrumors 6502a

Trying to decide on a high quality 22" monitor. Most I've come across are crummy TN panels, but these two thus far have stood out to me:

Lenovo ThinkVision L220x
    http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...-category-id=2FAF239B768947AD95895F826C34447E

Hewlett-Packard LP2275W
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/382087-382087-64283-72270-444767-3648453.html

Any opinions on these screens? The ThinkVision has an unusually high resolution for its size (1900x1200) which might mean it'll make reading text more difficult. Other than that it's received glowing reviews from its users.

One thing I want to avoid is that grainy type of anti-glare coating like the kind on the Apple Cinema Displays. That stuff really bothers me, but I don't know if these two displays have it.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

22" displays usually have the same res as 20" displays 1680x1050 but stretched decreasing the picture quality.

that Lenevo has a 1920x1200 resolution so go for that its a great price. but i cant seem to find if its TN or TFT and it doesnt show its contrast ratio which is a bad sign.

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

According to a review I found, the Lenovo uses an S-PVA panel.

Just out of curiosity, why aren't you interested in a 24"?
    Their resolutions aren't stretched, so it may look better to you. ;)

A budget might help aim you in the right direction as well. Especially since they can go quite high. Eizo Nanao (S-PVA & IPS panels) and Nec (IPS panels) come to mind, but they are over $1000USD.

4. Demigod Mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

24" is a bit overkill for me, I think. Plus I'd rather not break $500, but I also want high image quality.

The Lenovo's contrast ratio is 1200:1

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

You could actually find a 24" in/at your budget. One that might be really interesting, would be the Dell 2408WFP. Look carefully, and you can find one for $500USD+$18.00S/H. They currently have a slightly used for $475USD.

6. MalcolmB macrumors newbie

I have a friend who just bought a Hanns-G monitor. It is phenomenal! Terrific colors, built in speakers (not THAT great, but a plus), and four USB plugs on the back. It is very very reasonablely priced as well!

:apple:'s to the people!

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I recently purchased a Samsung 24" for $400 total. That includes tax. Great color, at least to my eyes. And I do graphic work. Not the fastest 5ms and 60hz refresh rate. I think 1K:1 contrast ratio. but I'd choose the HP panel. Lenovo is more expensive but only for more pixels. Or look for great deals at places like Costco, Sam's Club. They dont have variety, but quality is assured and price is great. I got mine at Costco.

8. LeoFio macrumors regular

9. Demigod Mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Update:

I received the HP LP2275w today.

Unfortunately, this one seems to be defective; soon after I set it up, it began emitting this high-pitched dog whistle noise. Hard to notice at first, but unbearably annoying after a few minutes. I called HP and they said this is abnormal, so I'm getting a replacement screen from Amazon sent to me.

Other than that, it worked. And boy is it one gorgeous display. They pried my CRT from my cold, dead fingers - but this thing's something else. Possibly the best monitor I've seen, including CRTs (yes, I said it!). Colors are fantastic, the backlighting is even, no viewing angle issues whatsoever. Near flawless image quality.

No visible blur in games. I think there's a TINY bit of input lag involved, but it's nothing deal-breaking.

Definitely a great screen. I just hope the high pitched noise is indeed a defect and not a general trait of these monitors. We'll see when I get the replacement.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Don't waste your time on 22"; either go 20" or 23"/24"

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

Do you mean for him to cancel the replacement/return it and get a refund? :confused:

Personally, I wouldn't use a 22" either, and make a similar recommendation. ;)

12. kgustin macrumors newbie

13. nanofrog macrumors G4

• TN panel (low quality)
    • Same resolution as a 20"
    Other members may have additional reasons to skip it, but the quality issue is important enough in this case. (They tend to be fairly poor. Not only the panel, but the general build quality from what I've seen). :(

Personally, I prefer the 24", as I don't need anything larger. If this is too big, or out of your budget, go for the 20". Much better quality can be had in this size. ;)

14. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

All 22" LCD monitors manufactured today use low quality TN panels. About a year ago I was on a quest to find a good 22" LCD monitor. After a couple months and several purchases and returns later I ended up getting a 20" LCD monitor with an IPS panel.

It is a shame, but it seems as though many of LCD monitor manufacturers these days are leaning towards TN panels. Even on the 24" LCD monitors. Be sure to do your research before you purchase.

You can still find 24" LCD monitors with IPS or PVA panels and you'll pay considerable more for them, but your eyes will thank you. ;)

15. Demigod Mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

The HP LP2275w is not TN; it's S-PVA. Same with the Lenovo ThinkVision L220x.

Yes, most 22" monitors are TN panels, but not these.

16. nanofrog macrumors G4

The only two I'm familiar with, but they aren't the same price as 22" TN panels, obviously. ;)

At least HP is offering a $30.00USD Rebate, ending on Oct. 31, 2008. (Purchase Date). So you might be able to pick one up for just under $350+s/h.

I'm interested in the LP2475W ($650 or so). :D
    H-IPS panel. Mmm. Sweet...:p
    Cheaper than an NEC 2490WUXi ($1050+). :eek:
    Needs calibration though, according to a review. To be expected I guess. ;)

17. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

This good to hear. Perhaps some LCD manufacturers are headed back in the direction of using higher quality panels. The price is higher, but the quality compared to TN panels is night and day, IMHO.

18. nanofrog macrumors G4

There's certainly enough gamers that there would be a market for something like this. ;)
    Professionals also, but they do have companies that tend to make useful monitors, albeit at a high premium, and not a 22". :p

19. Archandy macrumors newbie

Ive had the samsung 226bw for almost a year now. I paid £100 and love. Lovely deep colours for my graphic design and great refresh rate.
    Only issue is that the dark colours are a little too dark but that can be fixed by fiddling with the colour sync cd it comes with. Great value for money Id say

20. sarah3585 macrumors regular

sarah3585

I'm interested in the SM206BW for design. Is this a TN panel? What about the Dell 20 inches?
    I'm looking for a monitor that will match the quality of my 24inch alu imac.

21. Demigod Mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Replacement HP LP2275w had the exact same problem. High pitched whining noise. I wonder if it's the fan? Sent it back to Amazon.

Tried a Samsung T220. Horrible, uneven lighting. The top half is so much darker than the bottom half, what's supposed to be a uniform color looks like a gradient.

Back to square one. *sigh*

Is there an LCD monitor that DOESN'T have some fatal flaw?

If only the Apple Cinema Displays didn't have that excessive antiglare coating.

22. Satchmoo macrumors newbie

Found this thread as I also has some issues with my recently bought HP LP2275w. I have no problems with noise, however, the image looks kinda scruffy, the colors are not good and text is somewhat fuzzy around the edges. I've tried calibrating, spend hours googling and downloading the ICC profile for this specific display, but nothing works.

I'm connecting my Mac (June 2009 model) and the display with a Mini Display Port to Display Port cabel. A friend of mine has suggested trying with Mini Display Port to VGA/DVI cable instead, but I don't really want to splash more money on cables, if the issue is somewhere else.

Any solutions or input to this issue?