High quality external display for rMBP - suggestions?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macNewbie02, Nov 2, 2012.

1. macNewbie02, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012

macNewbie02 macrumors regular

I need to buy a new high-quality and high-resolution 24-27 Inch IPS panel display for my work as programmer.

I was thinking about ATD - but after seeing it today in the store, I was disappointed as I thought that the text was pixelated and not Retina-quality(Although its 2560-by-1440 resolution).

What are your thought about dlimes13's recommendation, Dell U2713HM? I might settle with it. I would glad if someone with the 15 Inch rMBP can tell me how well they fit together.

If I won't find something I'm happy with, I think I might wait until December when the new iMacs will be available to try its display, assuming it will be close to the next ATD (as MCAsan mentioned) .

What would you recommend?

EDIT: So, I went to see the ATD again, and no doubt the text is pixelated. I guess there is nothing to do except to wait few years until the technology of retina hit the big-sized monitors(http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Intel-Higher-Resolution-Displays-Coming,15329.html)

2. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Well if you're looking for retina quality you will not find them anytime soon. If you thought 2560 x 1440 was fuzzy, then you are SOL. The only other resolution is 2560 x 1600 on typical 30 inch panels and it looks the same.

My recommendation, however: Dell U2713HM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260111&Tpk=U2713

New panel, LED, USB 3.0 and a great price! The U2711 is 2 years old and outdated. The Apple Thunderbolt Display is nice, but also outdated with USB 2.0.

3. stevelam macrumors 65816

there are no external 'retina' displays at this point in time.

i have no idea how you possibly think 2560 res on 24-27" displays are fuzzy though unless you're being WAY too picky.

as a fellow programmer i'm confused as to why you supposedly NEED a retina display to friggin write code. thats just ridiculous.

4. macNewbie02 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey and thanks for your input.

As I updated my post - I might have been too picky on the Cinema Diplay's quality. It might even not been set to its full potential resolution. Tomorrow I'll be at the store again and will update what are my thoughts on it then.

As to 'why you need a retina display to write code' - well, it's not a lot of money to spend on something that you use all day for work, so to ease on the eyes, it seems reasonable. Also, I like to read text on my rMBP, it's just too small right now, but it's a perfect display for my taste. I don't think that it's a must for everyone though, there are a lot of people who can't find the difference between rMBP's display and their 1366x768 displays, and that's fine too.

----------

Thanks, man.

I'll check the display, it looks good and at great price too.

5. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

If you want the docking station features via thunderbolt, look at Apple Thunderbolt Display. You can get refurbed ones from Apple for $829 with full warranty.

Personally I am waiting on the next generation of ATD which should be based on the same screen as in the new iMacs. Hopefully that ATD version will be out by Easter.

6. PosterNutbag. macrumors newbie

I have a 15 inch rMBP with the TB display.

You are right, it is fuzzy when comparing it to the laptop's display. A that size, it think it just becomes a DPI issue which would mean you'd need a much much higher resolution than what the TB display offers.

Having said that, I enjoy having the larger screen. I also like the ease of connection by having just two plugs which are right next to each other.

The lack of usb3 could be an issue.... it isn't to me. I do use the gigabit Ethernet port on it and it works without issue.

If you must go big, it would be a fine choice.

7. gentlefury macrumors 68030

The Thunderbolt are about as good as it gets, sadly. They went all out with high res small panels...but won't release big panels in the same 4x res....dumb.

Sadly, the outdated USB2.0 ports on the TB display make it unusable. Hopefully the refresh will also bring in higher res.

8. Dr Charter macrumors 6502

Unusable? I'm waiting for the new model to come out but to call the display unusable because it lacks USB3 is a little much.

9. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Well, for me, that would make it unusable. HDD USB2=40MB/s vs USB3 75MB/s, SSD USB2 = 40MB/s vs 235MB/s.

That is unacceptable. That means I have to use equally inferior Firewire.

10. Dr Charter macrumors 6502

I guess I see your point. You could use thunderbolt. However, those drives are still pricey compared to USB3 and not that much faster from what I understand. I just hope we're not waiting until the summer for the new ATD.

11. gentlefury macrumors 68030

yeah sadly TB drives are currently priced thru the roof! I can wait if I need to, my rMBP display is awesome! I would just love to have an equally awesome, large display!

12. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

The only external monitors that can do full resolution of the rMBP output is a 30" like Dell 3011. Personally I am waiting for next generation of ATD and will be very happy with a 2560x1400 sRGB display....that has a thunderbolt dock integrated.