High Quality Microphone

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by geoffreak, Jun 13, 2009.

1. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I was wondering what the best high quality mic for around $100 or less is? I would like a good amount of noise cancelation (I will be recording in a room that gets some echo and that doesn't have the thickest of walls) but not to the point where it muffles the voice. I will be mostly using it for podcasting, but I will also want to record singing and instruments too. Being able to use the digital audio in on my MBP would be cool, but not required.
    I might adjust my budget if there are awesome mics that are more expensive, so go ahead and recommend any that are good (but those in budget are preferred).

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

the Snowball Mic by Blue is a popular one for podcasting, fits well within your price range and it's USB. Very simple to use, by know means would I use this in a studio, but for basic needs definitely a winner...

3. geoffreak thread starter macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Thanks for the recommendation and glad to see another Plano-ite on MR.

4. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

The Blue Snowball is supposed to be quite good. I have the smaller Blue Snowflake and it's an impressive mic that you can get for around $50 or so. However, I'm not sure either of these mics are a good fit for you, since you're concerned about the mic picking up noise. These are pretty sensitive mics that are not very directional, meaning they'll pick up pretty much any sounds in the room.

Unfortunately, I don't have a good suggestion for your situation. The Snowflake is the only USB mic I own and one that I am quick to recommend. However, I don't believe it (or the Snowball, more than likely) are good choices in your case.

5. geoffreak thread starter macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Amazon recommended a few noise isolation systems that are compatible with Snowball, so I'm going to look into those.