High Quality Remote Desktop App

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by StvPtrsn, Dec 7, 2010.

1. StvPtrsn macrumors newbie

I was hoping for some suggestions on a high quality remote desktop application. I've spent some time downloading, buying and trying several solutions but can't seem to find the right app. Maybe it's not possible and that could certainly be the suggestion but I hope not. I'm on a I7 PC with 6GB of ram and a gigabit connection to the N300 router. Here is what I need:

View a high quality video feed at or near full ipad screen resolution
    Zero or minimal image compression.
    As little latency as possible
    Frame rate can be sacrificed in favor of image quality and low latency but 15fps should be minimum.
    All I need to transfer are basic mouse clicks. Nothing special.

I've found programs that have some of these traits but nothing that's quite good enough. For example, Splashtop remote has a pretty low latency but image quality suffers. RDP based solutions seem to have excellent image quality but latency sucks. I've tried Splashtop, Logmein, RDesktop, RemotePC, iTeleport, RDP, VNC, TeamViewer and Crazy Remote.

Is there something out there that might fit the bill I haven't tried?

Is this possible even with an optimized custom application?

Thanks!

Steve

2. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

It seems to me that you are not interested in remote control but in watching videos. If this is the case, why not get something that will give you the full experience?
    Try AirVideo, or Zumocast. Superb streamed video at full frame rate and sound quality, even over 3G. And AirVideo will play most of your files, including MKV and subtitles too.

Using a remote control app is just a waste. It's like taking a vacation trip on a tractor.

3. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

Like the above poster pointed out, if video is what you're interested -- Air Video or another alternative. But I find Splashtop to work well with video if you want to go that route.

Edit: I see that you posted you've tried Splashtop. I haven't seen a RDP that works better with video than ST so I don't think an RDP is for you.

4. StvPtrsn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I do need remote control but only for basic mouse clicks. No pinch to zoom, rotate screen, switch screen or other features. It seems that air play and the like put frame rate at a priority over video quality. I need quality and low latency over frame rate.

In my testing I came to the conclusion that RDP and VNC, at least with the programs available, is not capable of what I need. The closest I've come are apps with a companion PC/Mac "server" installed on the computer.

I guess I should clarify, this is a feed from a video camera I want to view on the Ipad, not watching a movie.

Steve

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

6. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

If it's a feed form a videocamera, there are programs that will connect to certain surveillance cameras (depending on their brand; some of these apps are free), or software that will stream video from a camera connected to a computer.