High Quality Speakers for MacPro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Irfan, May 15, 2008.

1. Irfan macrumors newbie

I'm after some really nice speakers for my nice new Mac Pro and don't know what to get...

Need some help. Seen the Eclipse TD307PA II Speaker and Amplifier on the Apple site and they look great, price is a bit expensive but the wife has said "Yes!" ;O)

Check here

I want some decent sound to either listen to music, possibly playback something I've created and watch a movie or two. I wouldn't call myself an sound enthusiast or anything, just want some decent quality.

Can anyone help / advise?

Thanks,
    Irfan

By the way those that recommended the Mac Pro to me over a pc... THANKS.... It's a dream, already added another 4GB ram and it screeeeeams.... lol. ;O)

2. aibo macrumors 6502

Anything with a sub should offer pretty decent quality. If money were no object I'd get the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1.

3. Stoven macrumors newbie

I have the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 and they are awesome. The only problem I have with it is the switch to turn them on is on the sub in the back. The quality is great.

4. Irfan thread starter macrumors newbie

Klipsch

Just saw the Klipsch on amazon for just under £100, The Eclipse ones I've seen are £400. Anyone know why the big difference?

What about the Bose speaker on the Apple store at £280?

Thanks
    Irfan

5. mac666er macrumors regular

If you have $150 - $200 I highly recommend the Logitech Z-5500 5.1 System.

The sound is amazing and definitely the rear speakers do make a difference when watching a movie.

It seems you can get them new for $220, but probably can get used ones for less:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-THX-Certified-505-Watt-Digital-Surround/dp/B0002WPSBC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1210877133&sr=8-1

also, it seems people have good reviews about them.

The real difference is the subwoofer, two rear speakers give a new dimension to the sound, but the subwoofer will allow you to hear very deep (bass-like) sounds.

Also, a lot of people think you have to turn the volume all the way up to really feel the sound and that is just not true in my case. I have it most of the time between 5 and 15% of the volume capacity and it just sounds gorgeous. I can tell right away poorly compressed MP3s that would sound ok on a portable MP3 player and I am not a sound professional by any means.

Good luck in your speaker shopping!

M