High Quality Video Conversion

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Orion09, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Orion09 macrumors newbie

I am by no means a video expert, especially when it comes to compression and rendering to different video formats while keeping the best quality. This is my situation. We record our videos through a PC based program and I used to edit them in speed edit which is absolutely horrible so I bought a Macbook Pro and we got Final Cut. When we record the videos they are in the mpg format and when I try to bring them into Final Cut, Final Cut cannot read them. So I have been trying to find a format I can convert them to that doesn't degrade the quality. So far the best conversion I have found is to Mpeg2 and I was told that Final Cut could read that file format but when I try to bring it in it won't read it. So if anyone could help me out it would be MUCH appreciated. :)

2. gameface macrumors 6502

Download Mpeg Streamclip for free and transcode to Apple ProRes.

3. boch82 macrumors 6502

Did you get final cut pro or express?

Fcp - convert to prores lt
    Fce - apple intermediate codec.

4. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

MPEG is not an editing codec, it's designed for viewing. If you did manage to get MPEG into Final Cut, it would be slow. You're better off converting it to any of the editing codecs that Apple supports. Prores is a good place to start. I would use compressor and transcode it to that.

5. alph45 macrumors member

isn't the purpose of Cinema Tools to conform framerate and transcode? Converting to ProRez is very fast via CT.

6. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

7. WestSt macrumors member

Just do as these guys are saying, and save yourself A LOT of time, effort, sweat and tears. Forget other codecs and containers, tools, and programs until you have really learned the ways of mac video editing. Trust me - been there!!

8. Orion09 thread starter macrumors newbie