High Quality Video on Youtube

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ghanakidd, Jun 20, 2007.

1. ghanakidd macrumors member

Okay,

So, I'm trying to figure out how to squeeze out the very best video quality for posting content on Youtube and similar video sharing websites.

Here's what I'm working with

Software - Final Cut Express 2.0
    Camera - Canon ZR45 MiniDV
    Hardware - Macbook Pro 2ghz 2MB

Anyone have any tips, tricks, or other kind of advice on this?

Thanks.

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

It really has nothing to do with the video you export, it has much more to do with the codec that YouTube, etc... uses. Unfortunately you can't set manual key frames and such like you can if you're exporting the video for your own server.

In general, the less motion in your frames the better. I know that sound stupid, but don't add in motion titles and stuff. It will just make things look worse.

And this title made me laugh a little bit... high quality + youtube = almost oxymoron.

3. Peel macrumors 6502a

Peel

Hopefully now that YouTube is reencoding everything in H.264 (10,000 videos done now, rest to be done by fall) the quality should go up and motion artifacts won't be as much of a problem.

4. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

To get the highest possible quality in YouTube, you should encode to Flash Video (FLV) at 352x288. Make it as high bitrate as possible while still staying under YouTube's limits (100MB, 10 minutes). I don't know of any reliable, free FLV encoders but maybe someone else does.

To get the second-highest quality, encode in QuickTime Pro to MPEG4 Improved, 320x240, keyframe every 2-6 frames, 3500kbits/sec. If you don't have QuickTime Pro, use iSquint and set "TV Quality" at the highest quality.

In QT Pro, check "Preserve aspect ratio using: Letterbox," if you're encoding something 16:9. Otherwise, for 4:3 material you don't have to bother.

5. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

I prefer VuMe.com. Unlike YouTube, VuMe is in stereo. Also instead of 352x288 / 320x240, VuMe is 480x384.

Here's an example: http://www.vume.com/videos/view/5129

6. Igantius macrumors 65816

Best comment of the day :D :D :D

7. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Visualhub?

8. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

VisualHub appears to cost $23.32.

9. Alican macrumors regular

Are the original uploaded videos held on a separate server then?

10. bozigle macrumors regular

I favor divx and stage6.
    Doesn't have as much viewing as youtube obviously but quality is much better so sharing video with fewer people might just be the solution
    ... you can alway put on both...

bozigle

11. RojoLeo macrumors 6502

I'll throw in my recommendation for Veoh. High quality video, and you can configure it so that your video will automatically be uploaded to YouTube when you upload to Veoh.

Definitely worth a look.

12. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod