Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

megalaser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
Hi, Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing very high RAM use in Catalina? . . . I have a 2013 Mac Pro with 64GB RAM and with Mojave it used between 20-30GB in normal use (which I used to reduce by closing Safari tabs) and always keep an eye on it in activity monitor . . . With Catalina it's around up to 50GB with not much running and quitting things can drop it down to no less than about 28GB - so, using way more RAM than usual . . . .thanks

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
You can use activity monitor to see how your memory is being used by each OS to compare.

Using memory isn’t but necessarily a bad thing, if you have it then use it, but there’s obviously healthy usage and unhealthy usage. Activity Monitor will help you find which it is.

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
What process is responsible? Running Mojave, I've noticed that WindowServer gobbles a lot a memory.

megalaser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
It actually seems to have improved a bit after a reboot . . . . I also had a total system freeze where only the mouse would move . . . (may have been related to something running out of control and also eating up RAM) . . .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.