High rate of defective SR MBP's?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by arn0ld, Aug 18, 2007.

1. arn0ld macrumors newbie

A few days ago I was just about ready to walk into an Apple store and pick up a new 2.2ghz 15" MBP. That is, until I came across this forum http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90&order=desc

I read of yellow tinted screens and other malfunctioning displays, warped exteriors, misaligned keyboards and some defects that surfaced after anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months of use. Some unlucky customers had played the exchange lottery, going through anywhere from 1 or 2 to even 10 computers, only to settle with one that was "less broken" than the others. Some settled with their original for the same reason. One person was so glad to see no dead pixels he settled for a yellow screen. While some units of any brand will be defective, some problems didn't seem to be specific and isolated. I read estimates that the majority of Samsung screens have the dreaded "yellow screen" issue, and judging from the amount of yellow screen posts in that forum, it sure seems like it.

One of the most disturbing things I discovered wasn't a problem with the computers, it was the community's attitude toward defective units. Many new Mac owners post of their excitement over getting a unit with no problems, but shouldn't quality be the norm?

Isn't one reason Mac users pay for overpriced hardware for quality and reliability? After reading some of the horror stories about an overwhelming volume of defective 15" MBP's, I'm inclined to wait until the next upgrade to get one, if ever.

2. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

I don't know or even think that this forum is indicative of a wide scale problem, although the Internet can put a magnifying glass on something in a hurry. It's hard to tell if there are major problems with the majority of the MacBook Pros shipping from overseas. There should be more Q.C. coming from Apple. That said, I don't think it's a problem specific to Apple. The quality of all products across a broad spectrum of companies seems to have declined since using Chinese labor.

3. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

You are aware that people complain about problems, and to gain more pity tend to exaggerate as well. I assure you that at least 95% of the MBPs are absolutely perfect in every way. Buy it and you'll forget any quibble you had (unless you are a rare defect receiver, but you won't be I bet).

4. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

Just buy it. Mine came in fine - no yellow tint, no dead pixels or boomerang-style warpage.

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I've been a Mac user for 14 years and have gotten 1 lemon - a rev. D iMac G3. It was a problem child, but did get me through my undergrad years - after I replaced nearly every electronic component in it. Every time you buy a product you play the "lemon lottery", and as far as I can tell Apple is above average in terms of quality. Which means that a small minority of purchasers get a defective machine.

I've heard nothing to suggest that the current MBP has an unusually high defect rate or serious warping/yellowing issues. Eventually, all Macs oxidize, and the white ones suffer more than others. But that's material science 101, not any problem specific to Apple.

6. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I used to think that it was just people whining, but then I got one, which had a dull base of the screen. I then got it replaced, and it's the same. The bottom of the screen is slightly duller than the rest. Is it really worth the bother of getting it replaced? I say no, unless you need perfect colour accuracy. I've settled with the second. It runs a tad cooler.

As I have had two now, and they have both had dodgy screens (no dead pixels) I can only assume that dull bases of the screen is a common problem. Although it really is something that you have to look for it to see it, and therefore most people wouldn't notice. It is not obvious. One thing that is annoying is when you look at a black screen, the areas just above the heat vents, near the hinges, are darker than the rest. This is far more noticeable than the gradient issue, especially in places with dark screens, such as DVDs and front row.

Although all in all, it's an awesome computer, but you can't expect it to be perfect.

7. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

My buddy's SR MBP is CHERRY. I'm blind with jealousy.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

lol i could make a rude comment at that.....

i doubt that more than 2%-3% of SR MBP's are defective. its just that EVERYONE with a defective mbp will compain and complain.

"OMG macs SUCKZ!!!! this is my 12th replacement!!!!!!"

etcetc...

9. CaptainWOW macrumors member

I say don't worry about it. I have no problems with my MBP. The internet, especially forums, is not a good place to try and get a clear point of view on something. People that have problems post about them. Those with perfect units tend not to post or talk about it.

I have had a bad Apple in the past, my first iBook. She was a sour little lemon. Had lots of problems with her. But, Apple was very accommodating with the issue(s). I've had three other Apple's since then and they've all (for the most part) been perfect.

But, never mind, that is past. That is in the history. My little MBP is fine and dandy, no yellowing, dead pixels or other problems.

If you want the computer, get it.

10. MacSumo macrumors regular

it's just frustrating not getting a decent machine after repetitive replacements. I gave up and am waiting for the next line up. I've purchased another laptop instead (vaio pro) as a temporary solution.

11. chrfr macrumors 603

You just replied to an over six year old thread!

12. MacSumo macrumors regular

so? it's relevant today.