High-res 17" MBP and a 30" Apple Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zsection, Jul 27, 2008.

1. zsection macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just bought a 30" mac display to work alongside my 17" high-res macbook pro. When i don't have the displays mirroring each other, the text on the external display is perfect, however, when I do 'mirror' displays - there is a noticeable blurriness particularly with regards to the text.

Is this something I am stuck with? Or is there a way to match the sharpness of the 'non-mirroring' option?

Thank you in advance for your help.

ps.oh, i have obviously tested every setting in system preferences...and no luck. I tried changing the resolution on the Cinema Display from 2560 x 1600 to match the 1920 x 1200 of my MBP and frankly - no change at all, which i thought was odd.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I haven't messed with a 30" before, but from my experience with dual monitors the smaller resolution of the two screens is used for both. It may be that the 30" is using a non-native resolution (the 17" screens rez) and therefore things (i.e. text) does not show up correctly. I am hesitant to say you are stuck with this occurrence but it seems likely. Does the text problem occur when you use the MBP in clamshell mode (the lid closed)?

3. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

i have my 2.5 penryn set up with my 23"ACD, and the resolution is exactly the same as i got the Hi res screen.

when you go into the display prefs and you get the 2 individual pref panes, you can adjust the screens to individual resolutions.

im pretty sure you have this option on mirroring mode also

4. zsection thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for getting back to me. That's interesting to know about the display going with the lower res of the two - but so frustrating that it looks so perfect when working in 'non-mirror' mode (whatever that is called).

About the clamshell mode, i'm not 100% sure because I use InsomniaX to keep my mac on when the lid is closed...is that still clamshell mode?

5. zsection thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure, either I don't understand or I have already tried this...

When in non-mirror mode, the 30" display is set to 2560 x 1600 and my MBP to 1920 x 1200 - and in this case the displays looks exactly how my MBP looks.

When in mirror mode and I configure the exact same resolutions as above - the 30" display is definitely a little blurry and not as sharp.

6. zsection thread starter macrumors newbie

Not Solved, but frankly - i prefer this option!

Guys,

I haven't solved this but frankly - the non-mirror mode with the menu bar moved across to the 30" external display works better than I could have dreamt.

It means I can put my todolist and email on the macbook pro, and then all my work & projects on the main display! To say, i'm pleased would be an understatement.

Thanks for all your help all the same guys.Z

ps. if anyone with a similar set-up ever wants any help, feel free to contact me at zee@wedocreative.com .