High Res Anti Glare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xSavagedMonkey, Apr 26, 2013.

1. xSavagedMonkey macrumors newbie

I'm looking for the best way for me to upgrade my display to a High-Res, Anti-Glare screen, anyone know the best way to do this?

I phoned Apple they told me the only way would to be to Sell my current machine and buy another (forgot all Apple users are assumed to be rich :p)

I've looked around and a replacement screen is around £450, anyone know a cheaper solution?

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Sell your machine and buy a new one ;)

You could buy the new one from the refurbished store to save a few hundred $.

3. LeeM macrumors 6502a

those are really your only 2 options. fit one to yours or sell it and buy another.

----------

youd probably get some money back for your screen though

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Sell your current machine and buy another. It has nothing to do with "being rich". You want a capability that doesn't exist in your computer, but does in another. Common sense suggests that selling yours and buying the other is the intelligent solution. If you can't afford to do that, wait until you can or simply do without the other screen.

5. xSavagedMonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Hardly, that's the first thing the Apple Store genius suggested, was in fact to sell my existing and buy another.

I spent £1,500 on this MacBook, I'll get £1,200 back, then it'll cost me £400 for another with the high-res screen.

I'd rather do without, or find one cheap enough to fit myself.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's exactly why I said it. I'm saying the genius proposed the best solution.
    That's up to you. I wouldn't recommend trying to replace the screen, but you might consider an Apple refurb as a way to reduce the cost of buying new. You just have to wait until the model you want becomes available on the refurb store.

7. xSavagedMonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

I think the genius should have recommended possible Apple Authorised repairers who could replace it for me, or just say 'You could replace it yourself' not just jump straight at 'buy a new one!'

I can replace the screen with my eyes closed ;) (not literally, that'd be stupid)

If I come across a cheap screen I'll probably just replace it, or wait till I get fed up of my current MacBook.

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

eBay sells cheap high res screen only if you know how to fix it yourself.

Good luck :apple:

9. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The problem is that you basically have to replace the entire lid of the notebook, not just the display panel.

You could find a suitable display assembly on eBay or similar, do the replacement (iFixit.com should have a decent guide for replacing the display assembly), and then sell your glossy display to try to offset some of the costs.

10. xSavagedMonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, that's what I was planning to do.

A place locally take existing screens as parts exchange but it still works out around £300 ($450) it's still pricey, but the cheapest solution so far.