High Res DVD Covers for APPLE TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Blazer5913, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Blazer5913 macrumors 6502

Just wondering if any of you guys have any real good sites for dvd cover art. I am tediously making my way through my DVD collection for the Apple TV, and am now adding the cover art to my video files in iTunes... I tried cdcovers.cc but those are just such low quality that they don't look as good on my HDTV with the aTV. So any suggestions, preferrably free ones? Thanks alot

2. eddyg macrumors 6502

Delicious Library

Hi,

I use Delicious Library, which gets it from Amazon. My DVDs are in there anyway. By selecting the Info, then command-C the art and pasting it into itunes it works well. I think it looks fine on the AppleTV.

Cheers, Ed.

3. Blazer5913 thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright, but what I really mean is HIGH DEFINITION cover art... Stuff thats great quality and will look superb on the Apple TV. Thanks, and like I said, I already know about cdcovers.cc but this just is not high res

4. eddyg macrumors 6502

I see - won't that be really slow to sync to the AppleTV when you connect to your remote library?

Cheers, Ed.

5. Blazer5913 thread starter macrumors 6502

No, not really... I mean, the files are only like 3-4 megs or so, when compared to 3gig movies...

6. eddyg macrumors 6502

Easiest way is to probably scan them yourself from the DVD. MTR takes 30mins per DVD, plus the handbrake time, so that's plenty to scan the DVD cover :)

Cheers, Ed.

7. Blazer5913 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Ed, anybody else have any suggestions or links?

8. thebiggoose macrumors 6502

thebiggoose

I dont have an aTV yet but for iTines I search the movie name on wikipedia. It is actually the movie poster...which i hapen to liek better and they are usually good quality.

9. nickd06 macrumors member

the best and most reliable way I get mine (at LEAST 600X800) is searching google. I go to the picture tab and then set it to "large pictures" and then search the movie title, and if it doesn't come up i sometimes put "poster" after the movie and I have gotten just about every dvd cover that way.

Hope this helps!

10. ibrainch macrumors regular

dvd cover art

i use wikipedia - they have cover art or posters for most movies and look great on apple tv.

11. neven macrumors 6502a

I always do a Google Images search - if it's on Wikipedia or Amazon, it'll usually show up in there anyway.

Don't get too crazy with the file size. Someone mentioned 3 or 4 mb files - that's unnecessarily large. Your movie covers will be shown at about 500*700px tops, even at 1080, even when they're selected in the list. That shouldn't be more than a few hundred kilobyte file.

12. ibglowin macrumors regular

You might try CDCovers.cc They have covers as well as Disc covers on just about everything you can imagine. Good quality as well.

13. zero_bit macrumors newbie

I use impawards.com and find the high resolution movie posters. They've got about 90% of what I need, everything else is typically found through googling.

14. intendedaccel macrumors member

:rolleyes:

15. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

16. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I found this site the other day and instantly bookmarked it. It's got a good deal of movie posters there and they are high enough quality for display on the Apple TV... great site for this purpose!

17. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

18. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

I have been using this site as well. Images come up nice and clean, and sometimes you can pick your poster.

I also have been going to IMDB and pulling the movie synopsis and pasting it into the comments section in iTunes.

When the movie comes up on the Apple TV the image shrinks after a moment and there is the synopsis.

19. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Excellent! I've been wondering where I should put those... I bought two movies from the iTunes store and the synopsis isn't in the comments section so I never though to put it there... Apple TV must read from some random area of the file and the comments section... guess I know what I'm doing this evening!

20. m2er macrumors newbie

I get my movie covers from http://www.dvdempire.com. I don't believe they are HD, but they are good quality. They also have front and back which is nice based on what we have seen coming with iphone.

21. island macrumors 6502

island

22. williedigital macrumors 6502

hi res don't matter

I'm pretty sure that the way cover images are added to the mp4 files, itunes automatically shrinks the image down to whatever size is allowed by the .mp4 specs. I'm not sure what the max file/resolution size is, but I'm pretty sure it's less than 3-4 mb. Try adding a reasonable size jpeg (500k) to a file via itunes and then add a very high resolution jpeg (3-4 mb)and see if the resulting file sizes of the mp4 correspond to the difference in file sizes of the jpegs you added.

23. adamp macrumors newbie

DVD Cover Art for AppleTV!

Dude, open your browser and go to www.getvideoartwork.com and sign up. You can get the images for free, but go ahead and become a member.:apple:

Later bud,

24. Macsterling macrumors regular

Macsterling

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

ughhh.... God. Search these forms a little better and u will find what u r looking for. Try the search field. Im a member of www.getvideoartwork.com. And there r more like it