High Res external monitor + Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Copyleft, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Copyleft macrumors newbie

Hello,

I just bought an HP W2558HC and i'm having some problems.
    First of all I see the same image of my desktop in my laptop and monitor (duplication mode i guess) at the same resolution 1440x1200. I'd like to see the image just on my monitor with an higher resolution ( 1920x1200 ), but i don't know how.

I tried to close the shell of my laptop but all i get (after going out from the sleeping mode) is a dark monitor screen in both of them.

Does anyone know how can I get the highest resolution from my monitor? :confused:

thank you in advance for your answers

2. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

You can not set the monitor to a higher resolution when in "mirror displays" mode. Uncheck the mirror displays box in the display preferences if you don't want the display to be mirrored. (i.e., same resolution)

If you want to use the monitor while the lid is closed, just close the MacBook and then wake up the computer with an external mouse/keyboard while its still closed.

3. Copyleft thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, i'm using the big monitor as main screen now and it seems to work. Now, How can I disable the other one? I've already tried what you said but it doesn't work, both show a dark screen and i have to turn off the computer using the power button.

4. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

You want to turn off the MBP screen, right? Like I said, while the computer is on, plug in a keyboard or mouse, then close the lid of the MBP. A few seconds later wake the computer with the mouse or keyboard and the external monitor should turn on. You can then open the lid of the MBP and it will be completely off.

5. Copyleft thread starter macrumors newbie

This is right what i was trying to say. When i close the lid, both of the screens go dark...and when i wake my computer up click on the keyboard or mouse (with the lid closed) my big monitor stayes dark...even if i hear my laptop working. What's wrong with it?

6. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Hmmm, are your display's still mirrored? Maybe that has something to do with it? Try turning that off.

Sorry I can't test it I don't even own a MacBook but I know that's how it works. :p

7. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Try booting up again hit the power button than close the lid. It should come up on the main display. Make sure mirror is turned off and you need to grab the menu bar from the laptop and move it to the desktop screen

8. Copyleft thread starter macrumors newbie

I already tried...it looks impossible apple didn't think about a disable secondary screen button.

...i really don't know what to do...

also when i use quicktime in full screen it goes in the secondary monitor!!! :confused:

9. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

try going into System Preferences > Display and drag themenu bar to the Monitor (external screen) and then close the lid.
    (oops saw it was already posted, sorry)

another way to disable/turn off the macbook display; shift control ejectkey

10. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Go into quicktime's settings to choose which screen is default when you go into fullscreen mode. There, you can also choose to keep the quicktime player in fullscreen when quicktime isn't currently active. That way you can watch stuff in fullscreen while still doing other stuff on your computer.

11. bielen macrumors regular

Download Insomnia. It will allow you to sleep a display or sleep the system. I keep my MacBook Pro closed all the time while using an external monitor.