High Resolution in Matte MBP Bad For Your Eyes?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rekhyt, Oct 7, 2010.

1. rekhyt macrumors 65816

I'm considering waiting for the next MacBook Pro when it comes out, but there's a pressing issue that I'd like to know about.

For the Matte screen option for the current and probably future MacBook Pros, you are forced to get the Higher Resolution.

Isn't this kind of bad? This would mean that you'd have to scale to the maximum resolution to get the crisp edges/font for the interface, which would mean that you'd have to lean in or squint when reading normal 12 font articles.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's no worse for your eyes than reading a magazine in less-than-optimal light.

3. rekhyt thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, but that'd rarely happen. Not really talking about the amount of damage on your eyes, but how comfortable it would be.

Having the text extremely small on a matte screen doesn't really seem to be worth it if I'm going to be using it everyday.

4. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Its not that small, and if you dont like it you can change the resolution...you arent forced to that resolution and there are settings to make text bigger.

5. rekhyt thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, you're kinda forced to use the maximum resolution of the display, because the rest of the UI doesn't look as crisp.

I love the idea of having a matte display, but wouldn't using the maximum resolution of the display kill your eyes? How are other matte MBP users faring?

6. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Viewing this site on my 15" I can easily read the screen from 2-3 feet away.

7. milan03 macrumors 6502

milan03

Just buy yourself some other model if you don't like 15" HR/AG.
    Not to mention that OS X has the most advanced built in accessibility features on the market.

Just my 2 cents.

8. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I really don't see where there is a problem witht he screen, but there is a problem with constantly staring at any computer screen for too long no matter what the screen resolution is. you are supposed to stare at an object 20 feet away, for 20 seconds every 20 minutes if you are stuck at a computer screen for hours at a time.

9. joris538 macrumors member

I have absolutely no problem reading on my matte screen, but if you do, I suggest going to an optician, because it is really readable! If you were used to working on a smaller resolution (thus bigger letters) then it is just a matter of getting used to it ;)

10. rekhyt thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, but it's not that clear and crisp though. ... I remember reading somewhere that 10.7 would be getting something called "resolution independence" or something. Looking forward to that.

... And what if it's nighttime? ... That's usually when I browse the Internet or type the most.

11. milan03 macrumors 6502

milan03

Dude, just get a different computer. Stop by the Apple store, try HR/AG, compare it with other models, if it doesn't work for you, pick another one.
    Or maybe a Mac laptop isn't the right computer for you.
    This topic is going nowhere...

12. nitro912gr macrumors member

I really don't get what the problem is here. Every computer with LCD screen is forced to use the native=higher resolution it supports for better results (unlikely the old CRT monitors).

The matte screen is better in readability from any glare display and the only thing that change is that the colors are not looking very "shiny", but it show them as they are (this is why DTP pros use matte monitors, they value color correctness than "shiny" colors, which works best for movies/gaming).

I work with my MB 13" at 1280X800 (native and highest for that display) with no problem at all, even if I don't wear my eyeglasses.

If you can't read in native resolution then you will not be able to do it with any computer out there, better to check your eyes because minor problems doesn't affect your everyday life, but they show up with screens.

13. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

The eye problem due to prolong staring at the computer screen can occur at anytime of the day or night AFAIK. It has to do with constantly focusing your vision at a fixed length of distance. I am sure the same thing happens to people in a lab looking into a microscope all day or night long.

14. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

antiglare hd is awesome. Don't worry about the resolution bump. its still super easy to use.

15. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I have the 15" HR AG. Some text on certain websites is quite small, for that I just use Safari's pinch to zoom which increases the font size. Either that or the Ctrl + scroll shortcut to use the zoom in feature of OS X. But 95% of the time I can read everything just fine.

Most of the time I am writing code in XCode with Menlo Regular 11pt font, which is very comfortable to read at 2.5 ft away.