High-resolution options - is it the same panel?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bruf, Oct 31, 2010.

1. bruf macrumors member

I have a question for Core i5/i7 15.4" MBP owners.

Does Apple use the same LCD panel in both the matte and glossy high-resolution screens options?

The reason I'm asking is because I've read Anand's MacBook Air review and I noticed the great results in all tests of the high-res matte screen. Since I'm considering the glossy version, I'm wondering if I'm getting the same screen quality-wise since they're both high-res.

Thanks!

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Well they cannot be exactly the same but they are all of similar quality.
    The AG is according to some reviews the brightest. Contrast is in the 500-750:1 region.

The Air displays are actually not that good. Color range is terrible. The MBP screens are all better.

Just look for reviews. Low Res, High Res they are all very close.
    The HighRes glossy and AG both use the same Panels (but there are different variants) only the back light maybe stronger on the AG maybe because it is expected to be used outside.

Here are links to reviews for 15" MBP.
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-Pro-15-inch-2010-04.29953.0.html

3. bruf thread starter macrumors member

Thanks dusk007!

Yeah I've noticed the so-so color range on the MBA displays, at least all other specs are quite good.

In your opinion, even the low-res is worth considering? There's a nice rebate on a refurb low-res Core i5 model right now, the high-res is only available brand new so it's a tough call. I'm going glossy that's 100% sure, just not decided on HR or LR.

Thanks again for your input!