High Safari Energy Impact on 2016 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ashton Cofer, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Ashton Cofer, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017

Ashton Cofer macrumors member

So I've had my 13" 2016 TB MBP for almost a year now and I've always had this problem where Safari has an insanely high energy impact. Whenever it has this high energy impact, my computer also gets extremely hot and the battery drains quickly.

This issue has been coming and going ever since I got my MacBook and recently it has been a big issue in MacOS High Sierra (Beta). I've also attached a picture of activity monitor to show the high energy impact of safari.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
    Screen Shot 2017-09-23 at 6.45.41 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-09-23 at 7.56.45 PM.png

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Might want to blank out that serial number friend. Don't know if it can actually be used for anything illicit but I wouldn't post it onto a public forum.

If you're using Beta software then expect things like this, if you've recently upgraded then there will be high usage as it sorts things out system wide. Don't judge a system based on buggy Beta software.

Safari shouldn't cause that much energy use on its own, however it varies wildly depending on what you are browsing. If you have several YouTube videos playing it'll consume much more power than several Google search results.

Open Safari and make sure there's no hidden minimised windows or anything that you've forgotten about. And wait until HS hits a public release.

3. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

How many tabs do you have open?
    Are you visiting sites that have a lot of "content going on"...?
    Have you tried restarting?

4. Ashton Cofer thread starter macrumors member

I've found that the number of tabs open doesn't matter and even just sitting on the google home page causes the high energy impact. I've also tried quitting safari, restarting multiple times and that doesn't work. Hopefully the issue will be fixed in the non beta version of High Sierra.

5. jerryk macrumors 601

Is this just a Safari issue? Do other browsers like Chrome and Firefox exhibit the same problem?

6. Ashton Cofer thread starter macrumors member

Just Safari

7. burgman macrumors 68000

burgman

Do you have flash installed. Have you clicked on the arrow next to Safari to see what is using the The energy? For me Imore and other mobile nation websites suck a lot of Energy.

8. Ashton Cofer thread starter macrumors member

Yes, flash is installed. When I click on the arrow, I can see that whichever tab I have clicked on last is the one that is having the high energy impact. It doesn't seem to matter which website/tab I have open; they all have an insanely high energy impact.

9. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

Have you tried creating a new user and seeing if the problem exists for a fresh user?

10. Ashton Cofer thread starter macrumors member

Just tried that and the problem still exists.

11. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

Darn. Have you checked what extensions get loaded with Safari, like Adblock or anything?

12. Ashton Cofer thread starter macrumors member

I have checked that too. This issue has been occurring ever since I got the computer so I don't think it is from anything I download or added on.

13. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

Have you tried reinstalling macOS? You can reinstall the OS from the recovery partition without needing to reinstall everything else.

I hate proposing this nuclear option, but it worked for me once back in 2001 when my brand new Apple laptop wouldn’t stop crashing.

Also, it’s been a couple of days since your original post, there’s probably an update to Flash by now.

14. Ashton Cofer thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the recent help and suggestions. The non beta version of High Sierra will be released soon so I'll probably try that and see if it works.

My computer is also still under warranty so I could take it to the Apple store and see if they can help.

15. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

I didn't mention Apple Store or calling them because you need to set aside at least a couple of hours to do that.