Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Because multiple kids haven't collapsed on this coaches watch or at least it hasn't been reported.

So one dead student is what we'd consider acceptable?

If coach has 23 kids and only 1 collapsed, was this one kid asked to do something the other 22 were not?

Doesn't matter. By that logic if the coach had asked all 23 to do it and one died he'd be culpable. But if he asked all NOT to do it and the kid did it anyway then the coach is still responsible.

Were any of the other 22 kids near collapsing but didn't get to that point because this one collapse first and in turned everyone stopped doing what they were doing?

Immaterial.

Like others asked, did this 1 kid show signs that he was about to collapse but was ignored?

Immaterial.

One of the coaches talked about the increase in air conditioning and the decrease in the heat tolerance of the kids. 40 years ago AC in schools was unheard of, let alone in homes. Today it is everywhere.

Then he's an idiot and should be banned from coaching. Unless of course the human body is able to evolve in 40 years to something they were not in the previous 3 million.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
I dunno, I'm not keen on the criminal charges against the coach. Yes, the kid was in his care at the times, but we don't know all the variables, what he ate, whether or not he had access to water/sports drinks. I know what it's like, Ohio in late summer's a bitch, and Sister Margaret ran us girls ragged in high school (I was a fencer in a parochial school).

I feel sympathy for the family.

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
Well, we have one fact: A child is dead. Kind of trumps everything else. Would he be dead today if he wasn't practicing in that heat?

That is the worst logic ever. Imagine this coach asked this kid to drive to McDonalds to get him a Big Mac, and the kid gets in an accident along the way, killing the kid. Let's charge the coach for the death, I mean a child is dead and he wouldn't be dead if he hadn't asked him to drive to McDonalds.

Accidents happen. There's no need to blame someone every time something bad happens. You want everyone to live in fear of being charged with crimes just because accidents happen?

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Grieving = Anger, Denial, & Blame

As a therapist I can tell you that tragedy and loss usually send people into a grieving process that involves several stages. Anger, denial and blame are all a part of this process. The problem is our "sue happy" society today gives people the ability to take action when they are often not thinking clearly because of the grieving process. It's kind of like a wounded animal striking out at everyone, even it's owner. What has happened is horrific, but the family must be supported and proper inquiry must be done to determine all factors involved. To simply blame the head coach seems overboard without knowing all the facts. Why not the coach running the drill where the boy collapsed or the waterboy for not getting water out fast enough? How about the athletic trainer, who is paid to assess and ensure the health and safety of the players? The boy was also in the hospital for several days, let's blame the doctors for not saving him? I'm not trying to be ridiculous, my point is that in tragedies like this there is usually a combination of factors and not one single action or person. Sadly, the quest for justice in an accident is usually an empty quest that is simply trying to make sense of what happened. I hope all involved can find some peace, especially the family and the coaches.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
The problem I have with that is that the coaches knew it was going to be a hot day. Im sure there were heat warnings. Why were they outside in the first place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.